Faux Tea Towel Vinyl Blind/Shade Makeover

$2

Do you have any plain vinyl blinds in your windows? If you do you don't have to throw them out to get a new look. You can give them an easy makeover and completely transform them.

Update: Here in Canada we call these blinds. In other countries these might be called shades.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
I used a tea towel from my rolling pin valance window as my inspiration, and all I needed to do this project was a yard stick (anything with a long straight edge would work), a measuring tape, and a good quality permanent red marker.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
The first thing to do is to lay out the blind to the full length that it will be when being pulled down in the window. Measure the window to make sure it's accurate.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
I started with some lines at the bottom. I just winged it. You really don't have to worry about it being too perfect.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
Then I did my measuring for the rest of my horizontal stripes. How far apart you want them to be depends on the size of your blind and the size of your window, and the look you want. 5" apart worked for my blind, and I put little red marks where my lines were going.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
After marking both sides of the blind, I added my horizontal stripes.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
When I got to the top of the blind I did another 5 lines just like the bottom. (I took this into account in my original measurement)
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
The I measured for and did the same for the vertical lines, which again will depend on the size of your blind and window.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
Here's the before.
faux tea towel vinyl blind makeover
And the after tea towel look. I'm so happy with how it turned out and it was easy and inexpensive, and it goes perfectly with my recent cheap and cheerful complete kitchen makeover. It does take a little patience to do the measuring, but it's well worth it.

The time and cost estimates listed are for 1 blind only. I did my two other kitchen window blinds as well. To see more detailed instructions and photos click on the link at the bottom of this post.

Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

• Darice Langaas Kessler

Can you tell me what color of blue your walls are? This is a super cute idea, thank you!

• Tuula @ Color Me Thrifty

Hi Darice! My walls are actually white so I think you mean the blue trim and moldings. It's called Enchanted Evening by Beauti-tone. It's a very happy blue.

• Patty

What exactly is a tea towel? Isn't it just a dish towel?

• Susan

That’s how I learned to iron as a child! So funny! My mom actually ironed sheets too!

• Kathleen Mickam

I love it very very smart idea.Was just wondering if you roll up the shade will the marker come off on the other side. I wanted to glue some fabric onto a rollup shade what can I use besides spray glue that was a mess.

• Susan

I’d find a fabric glue. I avoid spray glue because I’ve found over time it stained what it was glued to.