Give Your Stainless Steel Garbage Can A Fun Decoupage Makeover

$1

I love stainless steel, but I don't love cleaning it all the time.

My flip top stainless steel kitchen garbage can seemed to always need wiping so I decided it needed a makeover.

I had everything I needed including the $1 roll of dollar store polka dot wrapping paper, which was left over from another project.

The first thing I did was measure around the can so I could cut the right size piece of wrapping paper.

I cut one large piece to go all the way around the can. I applied mod podge to the can surface only about 3-4 inches at a time... and worked my way around.

I smoothed the paper with my hands as I went.

For the top I measured the sides and cut a a piece to fit.

After the side piece of the lid was decoupaged on I measured the top, cut out the circle, and applied it with the mod podge. Again, I just applied the mod podge to the can surface.

Once it was dry I gave it 3 coats of the mod podge.

And here's my finished garbage can. Now it never looks like it needs cleaning.

There are so many wrapping paper patterns out there that your garbage can could easily match whatever your room's decor might be.

To see more tips and pictures for this project please check out my blog post here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Wanda Ezell Pichon

wont that tear pretty easy with all the action a garbe can gets. I have used mod podge a lot but not sure how it would stand up.
    • Mary McDonald

Wanda, she said it’s sealed with 3 topcoats of mod podge. It should hold for quite some time. It’s a curse actually as if one ever wants to remove a mod podged item, lol.

• Monique

How clever & adorable is that?? Not to mention the easiness & inexpensive way to brighten a "trash can"!!! Use mod podge for so many craft projects & it now comes in so many choices!

• Jackie Winnell

Great idea, Just a comment, this works just as well with sticky back paper or Fablon and it’s wipeable with bleach. 👌

• Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Jackie! I've never tried those things you suggest but I don't see why they wouldn't work too. It's just about finding a pattern that you love.

• Mary McDonald

I really like it! Especially the way all the dots line up-it just looks like one piece of art and not a garbage receptacle 😊

• CATHY

I really like this Garbage can DIY

I will do this not because it gets dirty but because it's a whole different look for my kitchen. Two Birds with one Stone.

Awesome.Thank You for sharing.