Reclaimed, Pallet Wood Coat Hook and Shelf

Spying some painted pallet scraps on my workbench that were all the same size gave me the idea for this coat hook and shelf. The rustic, reclaimed oak with the bright colors make me smile :).
reclaimed pallet wood coat hook and shelf, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects
I took pallet scraps painted in bright colors, cut to the same size (12 inches) and layed them out to determine the length of my coat hook. I then cut two pieces of reclaimed oak to run along the top and bottom of the shelf.
I screwed the long oak pieces in from the back. The short oak "frame pieces on the sides are not structural at all, just for looks.
I added a narrow shelf to the top, screwing it in from the top--a perfect place for keys, sunglasses, photos.
Iron coat hooks painted off white (the rusting occurs naturally) complete the coat hook. Don't forget to paint the screws. I do this after I screw them in so the paint doesn't come off while screwing.
Fun and colorful and oh so useful!
Becky--Beyond The Picket Fence

• Heather Gallagher

What are the finished dimensions? And did you use any sort of finish on it? Thanks!

• Tommy Bessinger

Where can I purchase this and how wide is it? This would look great in my airbnb. Thanks!

My email is tommybbq@icloud.com

• Carla Leccia

Luv it!!!!!! I actually have some pallets from our king bed we just dismantled to get ready for new bedroom furniture. ......I saved the pallets cause I wanted to do ....something. ......now I know what I'm going to use them for!!!!

• Teri

How are the colored pieces staying from falling out do you attach them to a flat board on back?