Material of the Week: Insulation Kits

$15

Winter is in full swing, and while our spirits are high, temps are low! If you’ve already made your chunky yarn blanket, and you’re still feeling the chill, it might be time to consider insulating your windows. This project does not have to be an expensive one; it’s an easy DIY that will reduce your energy costs and save you money.

Order our Material of the Week, Window Insulation Kits here, and follow this
material of the week insulation kits
How To Keep Your Home Warm By Insulating Your Windows

Here’s what you’ll need:
- Hair dryer
- Measuring tape
- Scissors
material of the week insulation kits
1. Clean your windows well around the edges, then apply the double sided tape found in the kit along the outside edge of your windows.
material of the week insulation kits
2. Remove the backing from the tape.
3. Apply the plastic sheet to the tape, covering the whole window.
material of the week insulation kits
4. Run a blow dryer over the plastic to smooth out any wrinkles.

That’s it! You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to get rid of drafty windows. Stay warm, and don't worry...spring is around the corner!

Check out the full post by Toolbox Divas here: https://toolboxdivas.com/2017/01/weatherizing-your-windows.html

Hometalk Highlights

• Hannahbare

can this be used for hot areas like Phoenix

• Pam

I live in So Cal. I'm more concerned about summer. With the A/C on I'm sure I will have condensation and possibly mold. I have bought desiccant packets and moisture indicating dots (Amazon) . Now I need to get on with this the project.

• Tam 15076171

I am definitely going to try this after all the positive comments I read but I wanted to ask if anyone tried using vinegar to get the tape residue off? I have and it works great vinegar has so many uses way more than I would have thought and I find more all the time and I like the fact that it's one less chemical I have to use.

• Cindy

Another great product to remove tape residue is WD40. That's what car dealers use all the time.

• Melissa

Is this good to use in the summer to jeep the A.C. in? I live in Florida... worried about condensation...

• Rachael Pinyan

I put plastic up between the storm window and the window (we have VERY old weighted windows). In the summer, we use window air units. This year I simply cut a hole in my plastic just big enough for the air unit to fit through. Cold weather came back-air con out, taped cut out piece of plastic back in. Has worked great, this used to be coldest/hottest room in the house, now with very little hassle, have no drafts.

• Leonna

Hi. Clean with rubbing alcohol on wood or plastic window frames. Helps things (tape) adhere.