Hometalk Highlights
Hometalk Highlights
  • Hometalk Team
  • New York, NY

Material of the Week: Insulation Kits

$15

Winter is in full swing, and while our spirits are high, temps are low! If you’ve already made your chunky yarn blanket, and you’re still feeling the chill, it might be time to consider insulating your windows. This project does not have to be an expensive one; it’s an easy DIY that will reduce your energy costs and save you money.

Order our Material of the Week, Window Insulation Kits here, and follow this tutorial to draft-free windows in no time!
material of the week insulation kits
How To Keep Your Home Warm By Insulating Your Windows

Here’s what you’ll need:
- Hair dryer
- Measuring tape
- Scissors
material of the week insulation kits
1. Clean your windows well around the edges, then apply the double sided tape found in the kit along the outside edge of your windows.
material of the week insulation kits
2. Remove the backing from the tape.
3. Apply the plastic sheet to the tape, covering the whole window.
material of the week insulation kits
4. Run a blow dryer over the plastic to smooth out any wrinkles.

That’s it! You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to get rid of drafty windows. Stay warm, and don't worry...spring is around the corner!

Check out the full post by Toolbox Divas here: https://toolboxdivas.com/2017/01/weatherizing-your-windows.html

Hometalk Highlights

• Tam 15076171

I am definitely going to try this after all the positive comments I read but I wanted to ask if anyone tried using vinegar to get the tape residue off? I have and it works great vinegar has so many uses way more than I would have thought and I find more all the time and I like the fact that it's one less chemical I have to use.
    • Cindy

Another great product to remove tape residue is WD40. That's what car dealers use all the time.
  • Melissa

Is this good to use in the summer to jeep the A.C. in? I live in Florida... worried about condensation...

• Beth

try taping up bubble wrap. It works both in summer and winter.

• Jeanne Longo

How do you remove the tape if you need to paint?

• Leonna

Hi. Clean with rubbing alcohol on wood or plastic window frames. Helps things (tape) adhere.

• Sandy Nate

Have used in the past on drafty window, works great, no drafts. Left up yearround. Removed after second winter and replaced with new plastic. I did have issues with removing the old adhesive, couldn't get it all off.