Upcycle a Wine Bottle Using Hot Glue for a Decorative Look

$10

I love recycling wine bottles and have been know to rescue them out of other people's trash! I'm sharing with you how to create the look of melted candle wax over a wintry scene using hot glue, mod podge, and a paper napkin. I think the end results are quite lovely! The warm, decorative design adds a whole lot of charm to anyone's décor during the winter months!
upcycle a wine bottle using hot glue for a decorative look
Begin by wiping the wine bottle with alcohol to remove any oils and dirt remaining after washing with soap and water. Next, using a sponge, paint multi-surface white acrylic craft paint over the entire bottle and let dry.
While the paint is drying, separate the printed layer of the paper napkin from the rest of the layers. Then arrange how you want the design of the napkin over the lower portion of the wine bottle. Paint a layer of mod podge over the area where you plan on placing the napkin.

Then, carefully lay the napkin down on top of the mod podge, using plastic wrap to smooth and remove any wrinkles.
Fill in with additional mod podge and napkins to cover the bottom of bottle and use the plastic wrap to smooth everything out. Once dry, add another coat of mod podge over the napkin to seal and then let dry completely.
Using a sponge brush, dab on multi-surface acrylic craft paint over the napkin edges to help hide the edge line and let dry.

Next, apply vertical rows of hot glue beginning around the top of the bottle and let the hot glue drippings run down slightly past the top edge of the napkin.
Add a small LED votive candle on top of the bottle opening and run drips of hot glue around the sides to attach.
Once the glue has completely dried, and is no longer warm, pry open the LED votive candle with your hands, moving it side ways to be able to turn on the light underneath. Do not remove completely and replace the votive back intact to bottle after turning light on or off.
And finally, add dabs of white paint over the dried hot glue drips to enhance the texture and dimension to the look.
Topped with a simple white LED votive candle and drips of faux hot wax, this upcycle wine bottle not only looks elegant, it provides mood lighting with the LED candle's soft glow. How cool is that!
Don't you just love this look!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 10:49 PM - More info
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Stephanie Mimsperkins

Really neat, so when it gets dirty, how would you clean it? I know my bottle would be dirty by all the folks touching it...

• Kay

I just love this, it's absolutly stunning! I was thinking, you could allso make them it into lamps to? When I was younger, my Father helped me make a lamp. He used a large round wine bottle. We filled the bottle with dyed water, and decorated it with transfers. My Mum made a lanp shade, using srips of diferant coloured plastic, to cover the mettal frame. It turned out realy well, I absolutely loved it! I was into Indians then, so we used Indian trasfers. Thaks for sharing, such an insperationl project! Kay Adelaide Australia ☺

• Donna Rolstad Zimmer

Was the clear hot glue gun sticks used? Or perhaps white?
    This is absolutely lovely! I hope to make a few non Christmas themed versions for some low light cute and fun outdoor summer nights

• Javetta Patton Cox

How do you turn on the votive light if it is encased in hot glue and you can't click the on off button?

• You are actually adding the hot glue drips around the votive, letting the drips run down slightly over the edge, as pictured. Once the glue drippings have completely dried on the votive, and are no longer warm, pry or bend the LED votive candle with your hands, moving it side ways to be able to turn on the light underneath. Do not remove it completely - just enough to turn the switch on or off. And push the votive back intact to bottle after turning light on or off.