Peel and Stick Hardwood Floors for Your Bath

$60

Do you have vinyl flooring in your bathroom? Or maybe you own a rental and want to change up the floors but can't do something permanent? Then do I have the solution for you! Peel and stick hardwood looking flooring and it costs less than 50 dollars for a small bathroom!
I had read about peel and stick hardwood looking floors before but thought it would be too difficult to attempt in my bath. After some research though, I thought I was up to the task.
Here are my ugly-to-me vinyl floors. I hated that the lightest color of floor was in the room that got the dirtiest. So I decided to head to my local Lowe's and check out other options. I found some "peel and stick plank flooring" in the flooring department, bought enough for what I thought I needed and headed home to begin!

Tip- Buy more than you need as you will make mistakes as well as having extra if you want to replace planks as they age.
My friend Rebecca and I laid out the planks like a puzzle. She had the idea to stagger them to look like real hardwood but you can lay them in any arrangement you like! The planks are really easy to cut or snap into smaller sizes.

Tip- Make sure you have an Exacto knife to help cut the planks!
Once you have your pattern laid out, now comes the fun part: taking off the backing and sticking the planks to the floor!
The hardest part was the area around the toilet. You will have to cut the pieces to fit (this is where your Exacto knife will come in handy!).

Tip- Use the backing from the flooring to create a template by tracing the shape of the toilet, then cutting with the knife. The flooring is very flexible and isn't hard to cut.
This is what the floor looks like finished! Isn't it beautiful? It took about two-three hours with two people. So an afternoon for beautiful floors!

Tip- Smaller rooms are better for this kind of flooring. Larger more well-traffic rooms won't work as well but if you are renting, might be the perfect temporary option.
These floors were installed in 2012 and look just as good today!
Kari at A Grace Full Life

• Pam1418628

Looks nice...what did you do about the baseboard and quarter round?

• Mag1370741

Do you think this would work over ceramic tile?

• Paperdoll

Why didn't you just remove the toilet? It would have been much better than cutting around it.

• Itsmemic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Just remove the toilet !!!!! You are a riot!!

• Alice Jordan

Must have been a man !

• Elizabeth

yep

• Teresa

I agree, and it stops the dirt from setting in the crack around the toilet. But that would be doing it the correct way so many people will disagree.

• Paperdoll

No, I'm not a man....just a practical woman.

• Eroque022810

Yes, removing it would have been better but not many people are capable of even lifting a toilet much less the plumbing involved. It looks great .

• Paperdoll

No "plumbing" involved in moving a toilet....just need to install a new wax ring and re-screw the water hoses. I think this is a schlock job when you cut the vinyl around the toilet base. Let's do things properly the first time.

• Linda Lee

Can you remove it and replace it back down.

• BusterHp

Didyou use a special cleaner for your vinal first?

• BusterHp

• Susanroy36

TSP first and most often there is a vinyl floor primer you roll on and let dry. You will see it in the flooring section right by the vinyl strip flooring. Be sure to press down hard on each strip.

• She13855634

Can you lay it down over other linoleum squares? Is it too sticky to pick one up and lay it back down if there is one that is crooked? Would it be good to use in a kitchen?

• Susan

the sticky backing is PRETTY strong - so you need to be SURE when you place it... however there is "some" wiggle room... not much... but some.

• Karen Spence Legieko

I have used this all over the house in my rental property, it is very sturdy and looks great.

• Janine

You can lay vinyl over anything, but if the original flooring has even the slightest raised pattern or grooves eventually the original flooring pattern will be seen from the weight of foot traffic. It's better to put a flooring leveling product on first to make it all smooth. Hope this helps.

• She13855634

Thanks Janine and Karen! Now all I need is the nerve to do it! YIKES!

• Tawny

I live in an apartment and my bathroom floors are done in white smooth ceramic 12x12 tiles. Can I put this over that material? If so, is there a special prep? Thank you and your floor looks beautiful.

• Robin Gardner

I have black and white small floor tiles in my bathroom. Will this planking work on a tile floor?

• Peggy Burnette

Is the floor water proof?

• Victoria

Can you take them back off? If i move i know my landlord will not approve this.

• Victoria

• Charlene murphy

Do you think I could do this over tile in good condition? I could be sure the grout lines were flush.

• K S

Hey Charlene, did Traffic Masters peel n stick over old linolion tiles after cleaning and vacing. Went down so easy was surprised. Only smaller pieces need extra tack down. Go for it, easy and inexpensive and oh so much better looking, Klaudia Az

• K S

• Cori

could this be done over ceramic floor tile?

• Allison Velez

I've used these in my rentals. I haven't tried it over tile, but i don't think it would work if the grout lines are wide. The flooring will eventually sink in to a dip in the floor. If your grout lines are really small, it might be ok.

• Cori

• Tut22342219

Can you use the planks to cover ceramic flooring

• Detra Morgan

Would like to know how hard do you think this is to remove?

• Melody

Question...what is the color of the planks that you used, and could you use this in a low traffic kitchen area?

• Marilyn Makowski Fahey

Does the flooring need to be sealed and will it ruin any flooring underneath it when being removed?

• Marilyn Makowski Fahey

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

It does not need to be sealed BUT it may leave the floor underneath very sticky. You may only use Goo Gone to get rid of that residue and then soap and water after.

• Ronda Koon

If need to remove? How easy is it?

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

I've never removed it, so I can't say how easy it will be but I do know that some peel and stick flooring is really hard to remove. I have had some pieces that I have needed to replace and I can tell you that those pieces came up pretty easily with very little residue. Any leftover residue could most likely be removed with Goo Gone or a similar product.

I hope this helps you!

• Joe Haines

Should the toilet be lifted or removed? then slide the peel and stick between the floor and the bottom of the toilet to protect the floor from an over flow of water from the toilet?

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

You do not need to remove the toilet BUT my brother suggested afterwards that moving the toilet could have made it easier. To me, it was just as easy to make a template and cut the pieces to fit. If you have the skill level to remove the toilet, by all means do that!

• Kay Cox

If the old vinyl already on floor is lifting around edges should you pull it off before installing the new peel & stick?

• Bth11598862

Beautiful but what or how do you clean the floor..thanks

• Fer27241237

I put peel 'n stick "tile" in my kitchen 6 or 7 years ago. It still looks great and it is swept and washed just like any other hard surface floor. Good luck. Wadi

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

You clean it like any other floor you have in your home, that is the beauty. I have used Pine-Sol, Swiffer, soap and water on my floor over the past six years and it still looks great.

• Marion

I have a 1955 ranch house the bathroom has I guess it's ceramic floor tile that want stay clean will the peel and stick planking flooring work in there

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

That is a great question. Because it is ceramic, I don't know how well the peel and stick would STICK to the surface but I think the adhesive is strong enough to hold. The only suggestion I would have is to ask your local home improvement flooring department associate. They may even let you take a plank home to try it out before investing money. Let me know how it works out for you!

• Mary K Ross

Sanding some of the glaze off the tiles may help with the adhesion

• Kay Cloninger Kirby

What about water spills from the tub have you had to replace any with water making them come unglued

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

My bathroom and kitchen have this same flooring. My boys do have a tendency to splash a lot in the tub and I dry the floor after they bathe but i haven't had any problems with it.

• Cfivedogs

If I am not mistaking; I believe there is a sealer you can put on this type of flooring which seals the seams.

• Syl16613162

Did you have to remove trim?

• Martia West

Can you stick these over tile too?

• John O'gurek

would this work on a tile floor??

• Starryia Rigby

I live in a rental and would love to do this...my landlord is ok with any upgrades we do BUT in the bathroom there are 3 layers of flooring that wasn’t glued properly and it curls up especially around the commode and along front of tub...Now my question is do you think liquid nails will secure this to each other then to concrete floor before I do my floor projects. And with liquid nails is it better to even it out with foam brush to prevent oozing when new peel and stick is applied (I believe I know answer to 2nd question but new DIYers may not ...I have usually done my projects by trial and error and I am willing to share my knowledge and glad there is a Hometalk!!!)

• Jake's Mom!

How easy is it to remove after a year or three?

• Karen Karg Cooper

Just curious. Would these work on wall papered walls too?

• Barbara Brookie White

How well does this work around a shower where people drip water, or the toilet where it has to be washed frequently?

• Lisa

Do you have to remove the baseboards?

• Virginia D Cooper

I would really like to know the answer to this also. I have some really ugly tile in both of my bathrooms. This would greatly improve the look in them.

• Karen Julio

You can do one of two things: remove and replace the baseboard or buy a 1/4 round and either glue or use a bead nailer to attach it. I just laid plank flooring in my bedroom, and I opted to remove the baseboard.

• Karen Julio

*brad, not bead

• Linda Wilson-Smith

I love this. My bathrooms (2) are small, ceramic tiles. Would it work over them? Would any special pre-treatment be needed?

• Karen Julio

Yes, you will need to look at buying a thicker plank and a good foam underlayment so that the original tile will not “telegraph “ or show its pattern on the new one. Most flooring stores will tell you what may work best.

• Joan

Can you do this over ceramic tile?

• Wayne J Germain

Only if you fill the grout lines with something like FixAll. Otherwise the grout lines will telegraph onto the vinyl/wood flooring. Same thing applies if the tile has undulations on its surface.

• Lori

Did you remove the base boards and what about the transition strip between the two rooms?

• Jodi

Hi, looks great, my only question is how do you seal in between the cracks as i did black n white stick vinyl tiles in my bathroom n althou it looks amazing i have had trouble keeping them secure as any bit of water leaked onto the floor will get in n under the tiles n cause havoc to maintain, although ive tried my best to seal it with clear n white silicon, but it eventually turns into a mess after getting wet a few times.

• Wayne J Germain

You can only tear it out and redo it if you want a permanent repair. When reinstalling, make SURE the floor is clean and smooth and carefully place each tile right up tight to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc tile. This process is difficult with self-stick but, with patience, it's doable. Slow and careful.

• Patricia Blue

I used tiles from a discount center to do a small bathroom floor, and they have lasted for 7 years. I only use a damp mop to clean ( a swifter mop wrapped in a towel dipped in pine sol or vinegar solution then wrung out)

• Marilyn Jones

Should of roughed up old flooring and wiped floor clean then prep floor according to manufature

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

I did do all of these things. Still holding up today.

• Jodi

I think I may have rushed it as I alaays do. My impatience will hopefully one day teach me a lesson! It didn't help that the kids flooded the bathroom a few days after id done it.

I have these tiles on tbe walls of the boys racing car themed room, the black n white checkered ones, looks really cool.

:)

• Melissa Glomb

Looks beautiful!!!!

• JQ

Couldn’t you and wouldn’t it be easier to just go up underneath the toilet or even remove it lay floor and the put back? I don’t think I could get it evenly cut lol. I have black & white tile but would love to do this floor but only if I could put underneath toilet.

• Connie Wilsey

What color is in this bathroom. Looks like mahogany.

• Erma

Can it be installed over ceremic tile?

• Candace Candace Warren

Could you put it on the wall

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

I don't see why not? Maybe try a small section of the wall you want to try and see how it holds for a week, first.

• Eva Beatty

I want to rip up the carpet on my stairs and landings. Will this work on os and b?

• Kari at A Grace Full Life

That I am not sure about. Definitely talk to the professionals at your local home improvement store and they will be able to answer that for you. :)

• Heather Green

I tried to see if anyone asked this question, sorry if it’s a repeat, but what did you do about the transition from door to hall. We’re you able to use the piece already there? Do these slide under the transition piece? I’m assuming they fit under the baseboards? I’m pretty picky about the finish work...this is beautiful!!

• LindaChaney2

You'll need to take off the base board and than replace it for a clean fit.

• Calvin

Were do I get the stuff from

• Genine

Lowe's of course..that's where i get all my stuff likethat cause they are so helpful.

• SteveLois Martin-Fritz

Can you apply this type of tile onto a tile floor with grout??? It would not stick???

• LindaChaney2

Yes, It sticks very well but you should use a hand roller on it. Ask at the store for installation information.

• Charles

You might see the indentation of the grout line underneath

• Pamela Martin

What do you use the Benjamin Moore Paint Revere Pewter for?

• Connie

I would like to know also

• Laura

If you click for more details on project she did more to bathroom and that’s the color she used to paint the bathroom with.

• Tina

What is the Benjamin Moore paint revere pewter use for..

• Sherry

Will it stick to partical board

board

• Yvonne Roebuck

How did you trace and cut around the base of the toilet to get the tile to fit so perfectly?

• Yarnmiss

what do you use to clean these floors??

• Morgan Arce

I've seen the vinyl peel I. Stick in the wood look (many designs), but none that oook like long strips of a slate look. My entire house is hardwood; I'd like my bathroom to have a tile look.

• Milly Noel

It is way more higenecly clean with tile. The floors are easier to clean, disinfect and dont get a smell of pee. I have a large home with bathrooms with both tile and wood floors, and I my whole house is hard wood of high quality, but I much rather the tile in the bathrooms, specially with men 😉 and few grandchildren.

• Morgan Arce

Right. I want to put the long vinyl “plank” waterproof strips of flooring in, but i’ve Only been able to find various “wood” looks. I don’t want actual ceramic tile, but that’s The only product I’ve found that has the long slate look is ceramic, or actual slate (those are too expensive). Was just wondering if you’d seen long slate look vinyl plank. Thanks for responding!