Hand Painted Blue Buffet

When I first saw this one I knew I had to have it! And I knew I had to help all that beautiful detail stand out!!
hand painted blue buffet, painted furniture
I sanded down the top until it was smooth and all the scratches and dings were no longer there.
I decided to take a gamble and go bold with this one. All that detail had been over looked for years and I really wanted to bring it out into the spotlight! So, I painted everything a midnight blue. (leaving the top natural wood- which I stained with Minwax's Ebony)
Now came the fun part! Bringing out all that gorgeous detail! Like I said, I wanted the detail to stand out! So, I tinted my glaze with a stark white paint (I used the Royal Touch brand from Ace Hardware). To apply the glaze I just used an old worn paint brush (because I was going to be dabbing and pressing the bristles into the detail, so you don't want to use a nice brush), I dabbed, pressed, and pushed the white glaze into all the nooks and crannies and then simply took a clean, damp paper towel and wiped away any and all of the excess glaze. Just leaving the white in the detailed carvings. I worked in small sections at a time. This way the glaze didn't have time to dry and I was still able to clean up all the excess.
I used 3 coats of polycrylic to seal and protect it.
Isn't she a beauty!?
And just like that, this old girl has a new life!! All of that yummy detail makes me happy! No one will EVER over look all of that detail again! :)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TheHayloftCCC

• Em

Would you consider adding some of the white you used in the recessed areas on the drawer pulls to make the design on them match the overall piece and also stand out more?

• Martha

Do you know anything about the buffet? Where it came from, how old, manufacturer? I have one very similar. The top got burnt last year in candle incident and I am contemplating on what to do with it. We got ours in North Dakota many years ago and we’ve not seen one like it.

• FlCEZ

I’ll be following to see if anyone answers you.

I’m curious too, as I have one as well. (My grandma’s -probably 70 years old).

Not sure if it’s an antique worth advertising, or a white elephant that no one wants anymore.

• Marilyn Mead

People will want it, refinished or not.

• Florida Beachpotato

I have one just like this, used for the big screen tv to sit on but I can now put the tv on the wall and repurpose the buffett. Perfect condition so I will only use oil and cleaner. The wood is beautiful and I cant bring myself to paint over it. In Florida there is a lot of these for some reason..

• Mary

Did you sand it all down before applying and of the products

• Jewellmartin

”Sunflowers . . . stated that she sanded the top until it was completely smooth, then waxed it with Ebony. No other sanding mentioned, notedably with the detailed trim. I’m guessing she was being careful not to obscure the trim by sanding.

• Carol

I bought the exact one a few years back with plans to paint. Was going to do a much lighter blue and now wondering what color for the details. Any suggestions! Great job. Love yours.

• Pat

Do you have any idea where I can purchase drawer pulls (hardware)?

Thanks

• Everywhere. Hardware stores, home improvement stores, some craft and hobby stores, salvage yards, Restoration Hardware and similar upscale retailers, on line from lots of manufacturers and as always, Amazon.

Where do you live?

• Pamela

Van Dykes Restorers in Hodges, SC is my go-to resource for restoration and renovation knobs & pulls, as well as a ton of restoration eye-candy.

You might try www.vandykes.com To receive their current catalog, call 1-800-558-1234.

• Becky

Try vandykerestorers.com

• Becky

I gave you the wrong name for the site, it's vandykes.com

• Cathy Hays

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share with you my Favorite Furniture restoration site for Hardware. Best Prices I've found on any sites. dlawlesshardware.com and they have really great customer service as well.

• Martha

This is absolutely beautiful!! I do a lot of furniture painting and refinishing, this is stunning!

• Debra

BEAUTIFUL!!!