Is it possible to decrease the size of 2 finished pieces?

+13
I have two leaded clear glass windows. Bought from another poster a year ago but never got a chance to use them. Glass is beveled and textured. Solid windows. Measure 18 1/2 in by 35 in. $100 each window. Sojoco location. Cross posted.

I need them to fit a 32X32 window opening. Is it possible to convert both panels into one and fit that opening?
q is it possible to decrease the size of 2 finished pieces
  • Cindy Cindy on Jan 17, 2018
    Those windows are stunning. I don't know if they can be re-sized to fit the existing space. I recommend you talk to a leaded window pro. It would be a shame to cut them and ruin them. Again, just beautiful.
  • Oh wow! Those are gorgeous pieces! Certainly worth what you paid for them. I believe it is possible - BUT - it would take disassembling both pieces and "playing" with the design arrangement to showcase it properly. I would rely on the expertise and opinion of a qualified artisan to do this work for best results. Have you looked for anyone in your area yet?
  • Sharon Sharon on Jan 17, 2018
    I would definitely seek out a stained glass artist to help you rework to the new size.
  • Emily Emily on Jan 18, 2018
    Just about anything is possible but you would be destroying the design that you bought and it would probably cost much more than you already have invested to have them redone and then in the future you may have a window they would fit perfectly! I suggest hanging them so they are side by side in the window you do have. Yes, an inch or two would hang over on the window frame sides and also the top and bottom of the window. You might need help in determining how to hang them safely.
  • Marian Ray Wooley Marian Ray Wooley on Jan 18, 2018
    Frame the window out with wood the size that you need. A few years ago I
    bought 4 similar windows that are framed. We screwed heavy hooks into the sides and hung them on our back porch. The morning light shines thru
    them and they look amazing. They have been hung there for more than 4 years with no problems. Good luck. Marian
  • Ser10100198 Ser10100198 on Jan 18, 2018
    I had a meaningful large piece like this, but with colored glass that needed repair. (Leading can sag with advanced age.) In ND I paid $1000.00 to have it redone and the wood frame replaced. The other quotes I got were $2500.00 and up for the repair. I'd have them framed in wood and hang them in front of the window. Or, image a window with multiple panes - make it larger by building a window with multiple panes and use this piece for the center pane.
  • Michelle Stein Blackburn Michelle Stein Blackburn on Jan 18, 2018
    I would reframe the window before redoing the panes.
  • Julie Dervin Julie Dervin on Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks
  • Marsha Marsha on Jan 19, 2018
    It would be very costly. I have a few pieces that I've made and instead of installing into a window, I have them hanging directly in front of them. That way you can always move them and take with you. You just need a couple of loops soldered on the top of the leaded windows.
  • Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Jan 19, 2018
    I had a stained glass business for many years before i retired. these panels are to lovely to dismantle and it will be costly as it is much easier to make than repair. I would frame them and hang them in front of your window.
  • Nina Nina on Jan 19, 2018
    Yes, fame as is and hang them in front of a window. One caveat. If you live in earthquake country like I do, I would secure them both top and bottom so the won’t swing too wildly in the event of a quake. I have been through two major quakes in my lifetime and I wouldn’t want the glass piece to crash against the window with force.
  • Yadogahax Yadogahax on Jan 20, 2018

I can see what your saying... Raymond `s article is surprising, last week I bought a top of the range Acura from making $4608 this-past/month and-a little over, $10,000 this past month . with-out any question its the easiest work I've ever had . I began this five months/ago and almost straight away startad bringin in minimum $82 per-hr

HERE? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, w­w­w­.­h­o­m­e­w­o­r­k­5­.­c­o­m
  • Brian Brian on Jan 21, 2018
    those windows look like the inside of a piece of exterior door glass that will work you need to use sikaflex caulking the same kind used for car windshields very strong stuff hope this helps
  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 05, 2021

I also do stained and leaded glass work. I agree you won’t want to pay to have these modified.

I’m confused what your price, cross posting and location have to do with this forum. This is for Help not Sales.

• Deb K Deb K on Jan 10, 2021

Hi Julie, you should just frame the two together and hang them on the window, make sure you brace it up when you hang it though, hope this helps you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt45dnxORBo