How to Remove Popcorn Ceilings

$75

Time to get rid of those dirty, dingy, outdated popcorn ceilings!
Let's say good-bye to those popcorn ceilings! The first step before you begin make sure you have your ceiling texture tested for asbestos. Asbestos is harmful when exposure occurs
Next, you want to be sure to cover EVERYTHING with plastic.  Don't skimp on this step or you will be sorry later.  Imagine your toddler children having a mud fight in whatever room your in.  That's whats about to happen, so prepare accordingly. Remove or tape off any fixtures.  Turn off power if a power fixture is present, because you will be spraying water all over the ceiling.
Third, take a pump sprayer and spray down a small section of the ceiling with hot water.  Let in soak in a minute or so, then spray it again.  You then can begin using a metal or plastic scraper to start scraping away the popcorn.  Be sure to wear eye protection.  It will get in your eyes if you don't.
After you have wet and scraped each section of the ceiling go back over it wiping it down clean with a wet rag or a mop.  You want to be sure and remove as much of the remaining dust as possible.  Paint won't stick to dust.
Now, you may notice a few imperfections in the ceiling.  You can use sheet rock repair to smooth these out with a little scraper tool.  You can sand when dry if necessary, but I have yet to find that necessary.
Allow the ceiling to dry completely.  It usually dries pretty quickly, maybe 30 minutes time and then you are ready to start priming.  Priming is absolutely necessary.  The paint itself will not adhere well directly to the sheet rock.  If you aren't going to also be painting the walls you may want to tape them off or go around with a brush first.  I will be repainting these walls so I'm just rolling it on.
Allow your primer to dry completely and then you are ready to apply the ceiling paint.  Roll it on and you are done.  Except for cleaning up your mess.  That's always the worst part!
I know it's hard to see a huge transformation of the texture from pictures, but if you have this stuff in your house now, you know what a difference it makes to have it gone! lol

Find me on facebook to see more room transformations www.facebook.com/amberfostercreativity
Here is a video of the full process from start to finish.

Amber Foster

• Amy Bayne

Will watering the popcorn still work if there are layers of paint on it?

• Bren

No, if the popcorn has previously been painted, the water cannot penetrate it making it virtually impossible to scrape off. However, my neighbor had this issue and when she got done scraping even though some was left behind it actually looked good because it looked like the knockdown texture which is popular these days.

• Mary Distel

Will this work in a mobile home?

• Sandy

yes. I had to repair my bathroom ceiling and I live in a mobile home

• Anna

Does anyone besides me actually like popcorn ceilings. I have a very traditional home, and feel that it would take away the character if I took down the popcorn. Although I will admit that I don't like it when it is sprayed on very heavy.

• Kathrine Anderson

I kind of like them. They remind me of the house I grew up in. It had popcorn ceilings with glitter! My sister and I thought it was so cool!

• Archie

I will assume you were going to remove the wall paper after you got paint on it.

• Liz

I would be concern that the pump sprayer would soak the sheet rock and lead to a potential mold problem. I've seen pop corn ceilings that were covered with bead board and they were beautiful! Much easier on your shoulders and neck! A friend painted her pop corn ceilings with 3 coats of white paint in an egg shell finish. She said it's much better than flat paint. The 3 coats of eggshell paint seemed to "lock down" the popcorn ceiling and it doesn't flake off at all. Another tip is to buy a bag of "grit" at a paint store. You stir this into any paint and it covers imperfections on walls and ceilings. Gives a nice "sand" surface. Check for the exact name of this product.

• Amber Foster

It dries VERY quickly! I did my first ceiling 3 years ago and no mold issues what so ever. 😊