From Wine Staves to Wall Shutters

$20

I knew what I was going to make the moment I saw these barrel staves.
When I saw these, a whole lot of ideas came to mind.
But I looked on Pinterest and found these really cool Shutters. They looked very easy to make!

So I got to work, I separated a few that I needed,  for 2 Shutters, I need a total of 12 staves, so I cleaned them up, ( warm water and an old rag) let them dry, then I used Teak Oil on them to give them a nicer look. ( I love how they look) I like the Teak Oil because it doesn’t stay grease. 
So for my Rustic Shutters,  I needed  a total of 8 long pieces, 4 of the short pieces and 2 for the center piece.
I then started measuring and cut them the length I needed.
The main long pieces are 36” the ones that go across are 12”
And the middle pieces are 26” 
Once those were all cleaned, oiled, and measured, I began to assemble, I begin first, to drill my holes where the screws are going to go, helps so that the wood does not crack! Then I started placing and screwing down the pieces. 
I just love how they came out!

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Pamela Vincent Hammond
    Pamela Vincent Hammond

How do u get them so flat?

• Nicole Mazza HC
    Nicole Mazza HC

My first thought was....HOW did she make them flat?? Soaking in water and putting something heavy on top of them maybe....but there’s no explanation.

• Judi
      Judi

They were given to me like that! But I was told that all the staves were stacked on top of each other!

• Gloria Wilson
    Gloria Wilson

If we don't have access to Wine Staves, I think that we could get a similar effect using pallets. I'm not sure about the length though. Input from pallet recyclers?

• Larry Pettijohn
      Larry Pettijohn

What Troy said, the length (and width) of the pallet or other source material is going to vary depending on the size shutter(s) you want to make...it needs to be proportional to the opening it is supposed to be covering when closed (if it was actually functional rather than decorative)

• Judi
    Judi

Thank you, I’m in the process of making another set! Sold the last ones

• Wil30797444
    Wil30797444

How do you attach them to the house. Am doing the same thing, except using fence boards.