How to Get the Chippy Paint Technique in a Unique Way

$40

What is the number one tool needed to paint besides the paint?

If you said a paintbrush, in most cases you would be right. But if you’re wanting a chippy paint look, this technique doesn’t require a paint brush.
I was inspired by an old chest in one of my grandparent's outbuildings. The chest was long forgotten, except by me. The chipped finish showed layers of paint. I wanted THAT look.
I found a cabinet door at a thrift store. I plan to use the door in a wall of cabinets for craft storage. I used a mix of chalk-based paints and latex.
I needed the paint to be thick. So I added a sprinkle of calcium carbonate to thicken. Even added it to the chalk-based paints. There are more ideas on the website to thicken paint.
Instead of a paintbrush, I used a piece of wood to "paint." Why? because I wanted uneven paint. When using a brush we tend to smooth the paint. Painting with a piece of wood isn't as hard as you would think. Also as you paint, lay the wood on the paint and lift up in areas- like if you were making a meringue pie and using a knife to make peaks in the meringue. Then smooth the peaks a bit. This step adds to the chippiness.
Let the paint dry to touch!!! It is important that you don't let the paint dry completely.
Paint another color the same way. Let dry to touch only.
Paint another color. Notice this area has "meringue" peaks.
Here I smoothed the peaks a bit. Again let dry to touch only. Note: Thick layers of paint dry from the top down. Sometimes, as the bottom layers dry and shrink it causes the top layer to crack. This happened to my door and I like the look. This may or may not happen next time.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
When the last layer is dry to touch, use a paint scraper to chip away at the layers of paint. Since the bottom layers didn't dry completely the paint chips easier.
Finished chippy door
The chippy door is ready to add to the wall of craft storage...when I get them painted. You may notice my door got the crackle finish.

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Everything Red For Canada Day
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Vicki Coggins

What are some crafts to work with copper tube straps

• Jeanne Martin

Vicki- if you'll repost your question on Hometalk's main/home page a whole lot more readers will see it. You posted it on this one page about painting chippy cabinets.

• Jackie

What is a good cleaners for my kitchen cabinets, that will get down to the nitty-gritty?

• SueBee

I love the result! Did you do this in a full day or over a few hours?? Just wondering roughly how long it takes each layer to dry to the touch. I'm guessing the thicker layers take longer??

Thanks!!!

• Great question! I did this over a few hours, but I like in Arizona. It would take longer in a humid area. The thicker layer do take longer to dry to the touch. Paint is finicky with weather.

• Bek

What a perfect treatment for a farmhouse kitchen! And I may be in the market for an old farmhouse in the foreseeable 9if not near) future! SAVED!

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

Was there an additional layer under the aqua? 4 layers? I see a royal blue, aqua, yellow and beige