How to Get the Chippy Paint Technique in a Unique Way

$40

What is the number one tool needed to paint besides the paint?

If you said a paintbrush, in most cases you would be right. But if you’re wanting a chippy paint look, this technique doesn’t require a paint brush.
I was inspired by an old chest in one of my grandparent's outbuildings. The chest was long forgotten, except by me. The chipped finish showed layers of paint. I wanted THAT look.
how to get the chippy paint technique in a unique way
I found a cabinet door at a thrift store. I plan to use the door in a wall of cabinets for craft storage. I used a mix of chalk-based paints and latex.
I needed the paint to be thick. So I added a sprinkle of calcium carbonate to thicken. Even added it to the chalk-based paints. There are more ideas on the website to thicken paint.
Instead of a paintbrush, I used a piece of wood to "paint." Why? because I wanted uneven paint. When using a brush we tend to smooth the paint. Painting with a piece of wood isn't as hard as you would think. Also as you paint, lay the wood on the paint and lift up in areas- like if you were making a meringue pie and using a knife to make peaks in the meringue. Then smooth the peaks a bit. This step adds to the chippiness.
Let the paint dry to touch!!! It is important that you don't let the paint dry completely.
Paint another color the same way. Let dry to touch only.
Paint another color. Notice this area has "meringue" peaks.
Here I smoothed the peaks a bit. Again let dry to touch only. Note: Thick layers of paint dry from the top down. Sometimes, as the bottom layers dry and shrink it causes the top layer to crack. This happened to my door and I like the look. This may or may not happen next time.
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
When the last layer is dry to touch, use a paint scraper to chip away at the layers of paint. Since the bottom layers didn't dry completely the paint chips easier.
Finished chippy door
Finished chippy door
The chippy door is ready to add to the wall of craft storage...when I get them painted. You may notice my door got the crackle finish.
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Kathy Pereira

Could this be done on laminate cabinets?

• Possibly. I haven't tried the technique on laminate, but I would think as long as the first layer of paint adheres it would work. Of course, sanding and possibly added a layer of primer first would be a good idea. When I get time I'll give it a try and add the results here.

• Vicki Coggins

What are some crafts to work with copper tube straps

• Jackie

What is a good cleaners for my kitchen cabinets, that will get down to the nitty-gritty?

• LaDawn Fritcher

I love how this turned out!! I don’t think I have that good of an eye but I might try...

• Itsmemic

this is the perfect job for my ugly as sin tv center. I LOVE it !!! Thing is..I have to paint it in place in the living room cause I can't pick it up. Dog hair sticks to wet paint. Hmmmm

• I had sweet german shepherds that loved to get into my paint. I turned chairs on the side to make a fence when I did larger pieces. A bed pulled next to the "fence" also helped.