Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Seed Paper - Making a Valentine’s Day Gift

$5

Now that we’re in Old Man Winter’s clutches, I’m wishing for days filled with warm weather and planting in my garden. A trip to my garden center answer my wish...Seeds for sale!
I couldn’t resist buying some seeds but it’s early to even start plants so I decided to make something with them - seed paper.
While I was at the store, I picked up a sliding window screen to use for this project.
You need to remove the corner pieces (circled in blue), they just pop off. By removing them you have two screens to work with.
Gather your junk mail and any recycled paper. Remove the cellophane windows (red “X”s) and throw them away. You don’t want to use them for this project.
Tear the paper into small pieces
Place the pieces into a bowl and cover with water.
Allow the paper to soak overnight.
Place the soaked paper into a blender (I have an old one that I only use for crafting) and add water.
Blend until you have the consistency of oatmeal, adding water as needed.
I also experimented using bath tissue.
A-I removed the center cardboard roll, placed it in a bowl and poured in water. The paper soaks immediately so you can being blending right away.
B-I placed half of the roll into the blender along with water and blended it
C-Until it was the consistency of oatmeal
For another twist, I blended the other half of the roll but this time I added glitter and blended it.
Once you have your blended paper,
A-Place a 8.5”x11” plan on your work surface.
B-Place one screen on top of the pan
C-Spread your blended paper on top of the screen (I apologize that my paper looks like dog food :()
Lay a sheet of wax paper on top of the blended paper
And roll with a rolling pin. This will squeeze the water out of the blended paper and the water will collect in the pan under the screen.
Once you have a lot of water squeezed out,
A-Lay your blended paper onto a heavy towel and sprinkle on your seeds
B-Lay another sheet of wax paper on top
C-Use a rolling to press the seeds into the paper and to squeeze out more water.
Place your seeded paper back onto your screen and allow to dry.
Once your paper is dry, you can cut or tear the paper into bookmarks
Or you can use cookie cutters and cut out shapes for party favors and/or gift tags by punching a hole and adding some ribbon.
You could also cut out hearts and use them as gifts for Valentine’s Day.
The possibilities are endless.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Robin Watson

You might think this is a dumb question. Anyway... If you bury the paper in your garden in the spring, will the seeds still grow???

• Linda Hixon

Can you use vegetable seeds ( like peppers) that will be started in the spring? I love the concept.

• Sharon

Any viable seeds will work with this. However, do take into consideration the fact that the seeds will be closely bunched. Some Seedlings may require thinning so that the mature plants have room to grow.

• Renee Ramos

Can you add essential oils to this project without ruining the seeds?

• Linda

I love the idea of little gifts, party favors to plant! Such a great idea. Special

• Jacquie

So sorry I missed the header of your project. Very inspirational for old seeds... thank you! Very cool idea!! ; )