Seed Paper - Making a Valentine’s Day Gift

$5

Now that we’re in Old Man Winter’s clutches, I’m wishing for days filled with warm weather and planting in my garden. A trip to my garden center answer my wish...Seeds for sale!
I couldn’t resist buying some seeds but it’s early to even start plants so I decided to make something with them - seed paper.
While I was at the store, I picked up a sliding window screen to use for this project.
You need to remove the corner pieces (circled in blue), they just pop off. By removing them you have two screens to work with.
Gather your junk mail and any recycled paper. Remove the cellophane windows (red “X”s) and throw them away. You don’t want to use them for this project.
Tear the paper into small pieces
Place the pieces into a bowl and cover with water.
Allow the paper to soak overnight.
Place the soaked paper into a blender (I have an old one that I only use for crafting) and add water.
Blend until you have the consistency of oatmeal, adding water as needed.
I also experimented using bath tissue.
A-I removed the center cardboard roll, placed it in a bowl and poured in water. The paper soaks immediately so you can being blending right away.
B-I placed half of the roll into the blender along with water and blended it
C-Until it was the consistency of oatmeal
For another twist, I blended the other half of the roll but this time I added glitter and blended it.
Once you have your blended paper,
A-Place a 8.5”x11” plan on your work surface.
B-Place one screen on top of the pan
C-Spread your blended paper on top of the screen (I apologize that my paper looks like dog food :()
Lay a sheet of wax paper on top of the blended paper
And roll with a rolling pin. This will squeeze the water out of the blended paper and the water will collect in the pan under the screen.
Once you have a lot of water squeezed out,
A-Lay your blended paper onto a heavy towel and sprinkle on your seeds
B-Lay another sheet of wax paper on top
C-Use a rolling to press the seeds into the paper and to squeeze out more water.
Place your seeded paper back onto your screen and allow to dry.
Once your paper is dry, you can cut or tear the paper into bookmarks
Or you can use cookie cutters and cut out shapes for party favors and/or gift tags by punching a hole and adding some ribbon.
You could also cut out hearts and use them as gifts for Valentine’s Day.
The possibilities are endless.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now

• Mendi Carpenter
    Mendi Carpenter

What's the point in using seeds? And......

• Poppi
      Poppi

Man... Some ppl are just clueless...I think it's a great idea, and nice surprise 👍

• Lbl33731652
    Lbl33731652

So here’s do the seeds come in..? Do you grow something by soaking or planting.

• The seed paper cut in shapes (heart etc.) serves as a thoughtful insert in a card or gift and later for the recipient to plant in her garden furthering the value of the gift with flowers

• Sara
    Sara

How can I install ceramic on top of a pub table?

• Chantal Meyers
    Chantal Meyers

Yes, I’m going to try it

• Karen
    Karen

I was following until I got to the make a bookmark, gift tag, Valentine gift, etc. Unfortunately some of us have the total opposite of a green thumb (whatever that would be), so I would suggest some type of cute little card or short little poem to go along with this. That way people such as myself would know what I'm supposed to do with it 😊👍🏻✌🏻🖖🏻

• Jami Sizemore
      Jami Sizemore

I believe you would plant it about a 1/2 in deep anyplace you would like flowers to grow and keep watered well until the start to grow. Mark the spot so you dont mow them. Lol