Seed Paper - Making a Valentine’s Day Gift

$5

Now that we’re in Old Man Winter’s clutches, I’m wishing for days filled with warm weather and planting in my garden. A trip to my garden center answer my wish...Seeds for sale!
I couldn’t resist buying some seeds but it’s early to even start plants so I decided to make something with them - seed paper.
While I was at the store, I picked up a sliding window screen to use for this project.
You need to remove the corner pieces (circled in blue), they just pop off. By removing them you have two screens to work with.
Gather your junk mail and any recycled paper. Remove the cellophane windows (red “X”s) and throw them away. You don’t want to use them for this project.
Tear the paper into small pieces
Place the pieces into a bowl and cover with water.
Allow the paper to soak overnight.
Place the soaked paper into a blender (I have an old one that I only use for crafting) and add water.
Blend until you have the consistency of oatmeal, adding water as needed.
I also experimented using bath tissue.
A-I removed the center cardboard roll, placed it in a bowl and poured in water. The paper soaks immediately so you can being blending right away.
B-I placed half of the roll into the blender along with water and blended it
C-Until it was the consistency of oatmeal
For another twist, I blended the other half of the roll but this time I added glitter and blended it.
Once you have your blended paper,
A-Place a 8.5”x11” plan on your work surface.
B-Place one screen on top of the pan
C-Spread your blended paper on top of the screen (I apologize that my paper looks like dog food :()
Lay a sheet of wax paper on top of the blended paper
And roll with a rolling pin. This will squeeze the water out of the blended paper and the water will collect in the pan under the screen.
Once you have a lot of water squeezed out,
A-Lay your blended paper onto a heavy towel and sprinkle on your seeds
B-Lay another sheet of wax paper on top
C-Use a rolling to press the seeds into the paper and to squeeze out more water.
Place your seeded paper back onto your screen and allow to dry.
Once your paper is dry, you can cut or tear the paper into bookmarks
Or you can use cookie cutters and cut out shapes for party favors and/or gift tags by punching a hole and adding some ribbon.
You could also cut out hearts and use them as gifts for Valentine’s Day.
The possibilities are endless.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Kirsten

There's no talk about planting. Does it actually work for planting?

• Mary

My niece did this for some "giveaways" at her wedding reception. I planted mine and a few more that I picked up on the tables after the wedding, during clean up. Planted about 1/4" under the dirt and kept it watered well until the plants came up. I had beautiful zinnias, bachelor buttons and a few others. They turned out great.

• Clary Moon

You never showed me a finished product so I don't no if it is worth the trouble. What does it look like at the end?

• Aleena Erickson

The speckled heart shape with the green ribbon is the finished product. You give them away for the receiver to plant if they wish! Just a fun take way to dress up a package or gift or table setting.

• Mary Ann Anderson

Why the flower seeds?..

• Maria

especially cool for curious kids.. Putting the seeded shapes in a pot and waiting for them to germinate. I will certainly try it.

• Wendy Kohse Helfrich

NOW WHAT?????

• Sherry Kaji

I used the lint from clothes dryer to make seed paper and it works very well. Up to you if you make into greeting cards as I did if you need to tell the recipients that you gave them your dryer lint. Lol. I told mine.