Asked on Jan 20, 2018

How do I update this wood/wicker/glass couch table?

Kay SpanglerVanessa C MoonSusan
+4

This couch table is approximately 45 years old. The wood is in fairly good shape but the decorative brass trim on the legs and around the glass panels dates the piece. I'm looking for suggestions for an update and make it more modern and attractive.
Pecan wood frame, wicker bottom, glass insert panels
Brass trim around feet
Brass trim around glass inserted panels
    Janet Pizaro

Does the glass come out
  • Itsmemic
    Itsmemic

I have the exact same table ! I sanded mine...removed the glass and put a piece of plywood on top. Painted the table with chalk paint and antiqued with white wax. Came out great !!
  • Ann
    Ann

Itsmemic, do you have any photos? Sounds awesome.
  • Susan
    Susan

If it was mine, I would tape off the glass and brass. I would sand the wood and stain it a color. All I see in the pic is white, brown and neutrals. I would stain it in a soft color that goes with the rest of your color scheme. Seal it with a non gloss poly. Then I would tape off each side of the brass. Sand it so it would take a primer, then paint it a darker shade of the color you used for the wood or a lighter shade. The wicker I would paint the same shade as the brass. Top with interesting accessories. A whole new look!
  • Vanessa C Moon
    Vanessa C Moon

If you dont want to take out the top I would make a frame with that fits over top of it with stained/painted boards of whatever size you prefer across said frame. I would chalk paint the rest of the cabinet and seal it with polycrylic. Add some large pretty baskets or crates to the bottom for storage.
  • Kay Spangler
    Kay Spangler

I had a similar smaller piece, but without the brass accents. I cut the wicker out, then cut away the trough that secures wicker with a router and replaced it with glass. I painted it a coordinating color to match the room.