Alchemy Home
Alchemy Home
  • Alexandria, VA

Revamped Antique Dresser

I found this gorgeous antique dresser a while back and was totally in love! My favorite part is the carved detailing around the edges and bottom, but the wood on the piece was so dark you could barely even tell it was there!
revamped antique dresser, chalk paint, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
Here's the piece in it's "before" state. I know, what many of you are thinking: "Oh no! don't paint it" (but I'm going to!), "it looks better now" (but it doesn't!), "you're going to ruin the value of the piece" (don't worry I won't,) etc....but I did inspect the piece very closely, there were no markings, tags, stamps, writing or anything to identify the maker of the piece, not to mention it was in kind of rough shape...and I'm just not a fan of how dark the wood was, you really couldn't even see much of the grain it was stained so darkly. We also had to do quite a few repairs to the veneer on the piece prior to painting; plus, I just love it way more painted:-)
I chose to paint it in a medium grey, with gold undertones around all of the edges for a fancy new style.
Here's the finished product!
It's hard to capture the undertones of the "warm silver' metallic paint on the edges in a photograph, but in person it adds a very chic touch.
Now that gorgeous detailing stands out!

Alchemy Home

• Ajc

I used to be one of those people who was taught to say, "Oh no, don't paint it!" However I've been won over with the chalk painting craze - There are just many pieces that demand "make-up" to enhance their beauty. Your chest turned out beautifully. I love the shining detail!!! Great work! You found a rare gem!

• Sandie Carr Mckim

Love it both ways especially now that you re did it Beautiful Work!!!!