Homemade No-Grate Laundry Detergent

After learning how easy it is to make most of your basic household cleaners I decided to try making my own laundry detergent. I was almost out of my store bought detergent and the cost of buying the ingredients to make my own equaled one bottle of store bought detergent. There was nothing to lose trying but so much more money in my pocket to gain! The great thing is that these ingredients will make detergent for at least a year. That's about $10 worth of ingredients for a whole year of laundry detergent. Plus, this is a no grate recipe! Check out how easy it is to make this no grate laundry detergent that cleans effectively and leaves your clothes smelling delicious! I use 1/2 cup per regular load. This is HE washer friendly!
Learn how to make easy no grate laundry detergent! I'm forever hooked on this recipe!
Gather your ingredients. You need:
•3 Tablespoons of Borax
•3 Tablespoons of Washing Soda
•2 Tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing Detergent
•A bottle to mix it in (mine is an old milk bottle)
Pour the three ingredients into a gallon container. Use a funnel or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel.
Pour 4 cups of boiling water into the container and swirl until dissolved.
Let cool and then fill container with cold water. Make sure to fill the container up to the top with water – not just suds. Let the suds run over while filling. You will still have plenty of soap inside.
It's that easy to make your own laundry detergent! It will save you so much money a year and make your clothes so fresh and so clean!

Megan Aubrey

• Lisa House

What can replace the Arm and Hammer? Can't use due to allergy.

• What does "HE" safe mean? Also, if you used fragrance free dawn soap and added fragrance oils or essential oils you could create a great scent for the laundry detergent - don't you think???

• Megan Aubrey

@Julie Clark Meidinger-Kummerle HE = High efficiency. And yes, I think the essential oils would be a great addition!

• Kim Carmona

one thing to think over is essential oils are pricey and you would use quite a bit for a gallon of detergent

• Lisa Starr

How much do you use per load? ie, tbsp, cup full

• Renae

is this detergent safe for septic tanks? I also need to know about whether it is safe to use on plants, as we will be doing that soon. Thanks for the recipe. If it is safe to use, I'll be jumping up and down!

• Laura Stephens

Can this detergent be safely used in HE machines?
  • Gloria

Does it need to be Dawn? If possible, I'd prefer to use an organic dish washing brand. Thanks for sharing!
    • Megan Aubrey

Dawn seems to work the best, but definitely give others a try - especially a Meyers one!
    • NormaJean Linza

You may want to give Dawn a thumbs up. It is so safe to use. I have washed baby chicks, cockatiel, as well as kittens. Very safe.
  • Claudette

do you use the same amount as using other HE detergent?
  • Claudette

Why is it called no crate
    • Cat1901228

No grate... meaning you don’t have to grate a bar of soap into it!
    • Tamera Dykes

It is called No Grate because most recipes call for a bar of fels naptha grated.
  • Connie Doan

What is washing soda?
  • Cyndi

What's the affect on a septic tank
  • Mindy

How much do you use in a front load washing machine?
    • Megan Aubrey

I would use the same amount since it does not foam. However, I've never used it in a front loader.
  • Cra31502197

Does this work with hard water? Live out in country on well water with no water softener.
    • Megan Aubrey

I've never tried it with hard water but due to it being non foaming, you should be fine.
  • Diana

Can you add oxyclean to make it for hard to clean stains and greasy clothes?
  • Debbe

Is this detergent HE safe?
    • Patsy

Yes....Check the Blog "Everyday Cheapskate" I got the recipe from her about 5 years ago. I've been using it ever since and it does a great job both in my old washer and the new one I bought a few months ago.
    • Sue Wilson Ford

In the article it literally says: This is HE washer friendly!
  • Sherry g

I use Clorox II to preserve the colors. Will this mixture fade your clothes ? A lot of detergents do so that's why I switched over to Clorox II.
  • Gar10534582

Does anyone use this to replace E-laundry soap? If so, does it work or is it sudsy?
    • Robin

I do use this in place of E-detergent. It works very well and doesn't muck up the machine. I have found that when making it to wait until after you add the water to leave room and then add the Dawn soap. This way you don't have to deal with all the suds that you get when adding water to dish soap

• Colleen Cantelipe

Great tip!
    • Gar10534582

Perfect. Thanks for the rsvp. I’m anxious to try it out
  • Vad32088965

Hi, do you know if this mixture is safe for septic tanks? Thank you!
  • Sjt29229935

Thanks for reposting this recipe. I see from the comments below it was originally presented in 2014. Do you still like it? Guess you must since reposted. :-) Anything new you have discovered we might find useful?

Instead of using a milk carton, that I would want extremely well rinsed and clean, couldn't you just use your old laundry soap jug? I buy the big ones that have the spigot and keep it in the cupboard over the washer for easy dispensing. Since I have no objection to what I have been using, - other than price - a little leftover in the mix won't be a tremendous issue. Can't imagine a little remaining soap will totally destroy or contaminate the new batch, will it? Or one could simply rinse the old detergent jug well and use diluted leftover before adding the new mixture.

Sorry, more than one question in my dissertation.

Love the recipe. And blue Dawn works cleaning miracles on dirt! Right up there with those Mr. Clean wall erasers. I'm not getting a kickback, just a fan of the two. :-) Definitely going to give this a try!

• Lois

Could the Dawn dish detergent be replaced with a biodegradable detergent?
    • 27524803

Most commercial detergents that are in any way disposed of into the sewer systems are required to be biodegradable... that is why most of them do not 'work" the way soaps and detergents made in the 40's and 50's did... does not harm the water table.... besides... if they can use it to clean up baby ducks caught in oil spills... it should not harm YOU
    • Megan Aubrey

Sure! Dawn just seems to work really well for me!
    • Lois

Thanks! The other ingredients seem more or less "natural", so thought I'd like to try it. Thanks so much for the "recipe".
      Lois
  • Clt17512546

How much is needed for a large load of clothes?
  • Mary lou cook

In the ingredients list, it calls for WASHING SODA. Under what to purchase, it lists BAKING SODA. I don't think they are the same or am I wrong???
    • Carmel

In the laundry section it has arm & hammer that is a washing soda
    • Cheri

You want WASHING SODA.
    • Barb in Texas

You can actually make washing soda by baking (in the oven) baking soda, it's just drier form.
  • Nancy Wooding

Does anyone know how to really get dry erase marke out of clothing? I have gone on the internet and tried all suggestions. Is it hopeless?
    • Donna McKenzie

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? Or a liquid hair spray like White Rain? (It gets out ink from clothes)

• Nancy Wooding

Donna, I have tried the rubbing alcohol and that didn’t work. But I have never tried the hairspray. I will definitely try this and let you know thank you.
    • Katmoussa67

I think alcohol or vodka should get it out.
    • Robyn Mills

Hairspray, I use aerosol, but the pump spray kind might work. yup takes ink out pretty darn good! We use it in the theatre to get ink based stains out. We spray clothes with vodka to kill the bacteria that causes odor and material rot, I have not found it to be useful for removing stains.
  • AngieZ

So which one do you use, the washing soda or the baking soda? As one other person indicated, in the ingredients section you said to use washing soda but in the list of items to purchase you said to get baking soda. Can you please clarify? Thank you!
    • Patt

Use washing soda. I know because I make anoher recipe, and it calls for washing soda. Also the picture shows it.
    • AngieZ

Thanks! That's what I figured. It was just ambiguous because it was stated 2 different ways.
    • Kitti Nelson

I have noticed that the ingredients used list doesn't always match the process being outlined and another crafter commented that she had not had input to that list
  • Njpoellot

Thank you for the recipe. How much of the laundry soap do you use per wash load? I have a front loader, is this detergent HE (high efficiency)?
  • Susie Peterson

How much detergent do you use for an average load?
  • Don17445303

Does this work fot HE macines?
  • Michelle

Above at the instructions it lists washing soda, below the instructions baking soda is listed. Are they one in the same? Or is it washing soda we need?
    • Megan Aubrey

It is washing soda! Unfortunately the bottom items are populared by Hometalk and an ad. I don't have the ability to change them, even when they are wrong!
    • Michelle

Thank you so much Megan! I look forward to trying this and saving $$$$
    • Deborah Freeman

Do you know where we can get the washingsoda?
    • Amy Vining

Any drug store

• Sea22387706

If I wanted to add a drop or two of essential oils (to kill germs or add a scent), when would be the best time? Before or after the cool down?
    • Megan Aubrey

I think whatever scent you like or whatever purpose you are going for. I prefer lavendar and orange myself. I would do it after cool down.
  • SherifRadwan212

What is the quantity of liquid soap to mix

• Joann Glover Peterson

Can this be used in the HE washers?

• User

Can you add a perfume scent?

• Anj Wheeler

How much do you use for a load of laundry

• Xenia Hardenbrook

Can you just mix the dry ingredients together, throw in a scoop and a few drops of Dawn?

• Megan Aubrey

That should work! Just make sure the water is warm enough to dissolve the dry ingredients!

• Xenia Hardenbrook

Can you just mix the dry ingredients, throw in a scoop and a few drops of Dawn?

• Megan Aubrey

As long as the water is warm enough to dissolve the dry ingredients that should work!

• YouDee

Why is this called "no-grate"?

• Janice

You15429458, I think I've read a blog where it's made with grated bars of soap. 💞

• Jud21684759

Because most home recipes call for bars of soap. They are gtated with a hand grater to help the soap incorporate into the total mixture of ingredients. Some people use food processors for this giving it a fine texture.

• YouDee

Thanks

• YouDee

Why is this called "no-grate"?

• Bren

Because in the original recipe you had to “ grate “ a bar of soap.

• B.n22400772

How much can we put in the wash machine?

• Stephanie Willis

Is this "He" safe? I have to use "He" detergent in my washing machine.

Thanks

• Jake

The ingredient list says washing soda and not baking soda but it lists baking soda at the end where it says what supplies were used. Which is it?

• Barbara Stallard

Doesn't the plastic melt when you pour boiling water in?

• Smg15219192

Does it work for pretreating stains?

• Melanie A Seredych Waters

How much of the final product is used per load of laundry?

• Paulae12

How much do you use per load of laundry?

• Cheryl Biermann

How much of the solution is used for a large load of wash?

• Samantha Meyers-Husted

How did the boiling water not melt the plastic?

• Barb in Texas

I'd like to know this too, I think it would go right thru it. I made that mistake pouring hot, not boiling, tea into a RubberMaid jug once, melted on contact.

• Megan Aubrey

Use whatever container you feel comfortable with!

• D Terrian

Can this be used in the HE washers?

• Jody

How much do you put in the washer per load

• Steve

Will this work for the high capacity washers that “require” a specific detergent?

• Mariani Didyk

Can this be used in he washing machines?

• Brandi Wagemann

What is washing soda?

• Myfivecents

You can buy it in the detergent section in your store.

This best describes its uses:

• Laundry Booster. It's original purpose… ...
      • Homemade Laundry Soap. ...
      • Grease Stains and Tough Stains. ...
      • All-Purpose Cleaner. ...
      • Carpet Stains. ...
      • Turbo-Charged Pre-Soak. ...
      • Water Softener. ...
      • Grill Cleaner.

• Dstoker

baking soda?

• Pamrwilson

Then, how much do you use for small, medium, and large laundry loads??

• Janice

She said 1/2 cup per load. Use some judgment....if extra dirty, add a bit more. Less for a very small load, 1/2 cup for a medium load, and maybe a bit more for a large load.

• Kirsten

This seems obvious but I’m asking just the same.

Why add more water at the end? Why not just use less detergent in the load? I currently buy concentrated detergent. (I can’t carry those massive bottles.). I haven’t noticed any difference between concentrated and full-cup commercial detergents. Is there a specific reason why you add more water at the end?

• Janice

My thinking as well. Seems like you could just add a 1/2 teaspoon of the concentrated mixture and not have so much to store. Good thinking, Kirsten!

• Sjt29229935

To avoid the foaming action of soap spilling all over when filling the jug, couldn't you mix the dry ingredients with boiling water to dissolve them, fill the jug with the cold water and then add the 2 tablespoons of Dawn and shake to mix? Does the Dawn have to be added to the boiling water for some reason? I hate the mess, time and waste watching foam flowing all over when I mix items like this, so usually add the foaming agents after the rest have been mixed.

Also, I have noticed suggestions to add other scents such as Unstopables to the mix, don't these fight with the Dawn or do they enhance it? Dawn doesn't smell all that bad and I would think adding more will muddle the freshness. Just curious if anyone had added other aromas and what they discovered.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm excited to give this formula a try!

• Dstoker

what's the difference in baking soda and washing soda - for this project?

• Tev32107130

In my experience, BIG, make it with the Arm & Hammer WASHING soda. DO NOT USE the baking soda . You’ll have a mess

• Barb in Texas

Google it, but if you can't find washing soda (every WalMart has it) you can make it by baking dry baking soda.

• Clara

I am going to go to this extra work to make simple laundry soap, then I would like to use a soap concentrate that is natural and organic rather than Dawn. Any suggestions?

• Barb in Texas

Do they make 'organic' dish soap? You could try that. I already use Dawn on my dishes, so I always have it around.

• Marlene

When you pour boiling water into the plastic jug, doesn't it collapse?

• Mickey

I agree. From experience it will either collapse or warp and not stand. I suggest to mix ingredients in something else such as a glass 2 cup measuring cup and then when cool pour into the plastic container and fill with cold water.

• Barb in Texas

I don't think it will collapse, i think it'll melt thru and pour boiling water onto the floor.

• Megan Aubrey

Use whatever container you feel most comfortable using. It does not mater what it is. :)

• Christel

I'm pretty sure that if I pour boiling water into a plastic jug, the jug will melt and warp immediately. How did you avoid that happening?

• Martha

Does it have to be Dawn? I just bought detergent and it’s not Dawn.

• Wendy Chambers

I'm thinking Dawn is the best because of the way it cuts grease. Any homemade cleaning agents I've made called for Dawn and it worked better that other ones.

• Lois Doty

How much do you use per load? 1/2 cup?

• Amanda June Breeding

That was my question and is it he safe

• Debg

I went back and read entire intro. 1/2 cup and safe for HE washers.

• Janice

Yes, if you read through her post it says 1/2 cup per load.

• Patricia

How much did you use for each load?

• Janice

When you read the post, it says to use 1/2 cup per load.

• Vava

Is this recipe safe for low suds washers?

• Carol Cole

Can this be used in a high efficiency washer?

• Karen Bosco

Is this HE machine safe? Baking Soda or Washing soda? Is this Septic Safe? How much do you use for a load?

ANYTHING that will save money and not be filled with Chemicals sounds like a wonderful alternative !

• Janice

She said to use 1/2 cup per load.

• Bmasecar

If the HE you refer to means he, probably not. lol I can say that because I'm a he...

• Ruby

your recipe calls for washing soda but your resources is showing baking soda ?????????????? how much do you use for each load

• Mcgypsy9

The resource is not chosen by this hometalker. Do NOT use baking soda but instead use Washing Soda. There is a difference and this product can be found in your local grocery store, Walmart and some hardware stores. It says up top to use 3 Tablespoons.

• Joy Karsten Laschober

Look at the picture again. It is Arm & Hammer washing soda😀

• Connie French

How much do you use per load?

• Ed Held

why can't this be printed on one page?????? is baking soda all the same? I thought so ??

• Barb in Texas

Because it's too long? Either print double sided or cut and paste it to something and take out some of the pictures.

• Marian Goetsch Martinez

Does this really clean as good,as let's say tide?

• Barb in Texas

I've been making a similar recipe (mind has grated Fels Naptha, too) and yes, it does. I've been doing to for about 5 years and it's saved me a ton of money.

• Oopsfiled

How much do you use for a load?

• Roni Lee

Could u add some of the enhancement beads like Downy? Or freshscents?

• Jane

Thank you for the recipe. Have you used it in an HE washer? I'd like to know before I make it.

• Shelly

Can you use it in a front loader washing machine?

• Mary

how much do you use in one load?

• Jensen.krys

I noticed in the first picture the Baking Soda says Arm and Hammer Super washing soda, but when I click on the information about the ingredients it show A&H baking soda. Is there a difference in these two products?

• Barb in Texas

Because the writer doesn't add the materials list, Hometalk does. Baking soda is baking soda, use whatever brand you have or want to.

• Victoria

At the beginning it said WASHING SODA...then below you showed regular Baking Soda. So which is it?? Does this mixture create wearing down of the milk jug?? I just was thinking of " holes " maybe??? Otherwise sounds good to me. One initial cost and how many jugs do you think it makes?? Thank you for the idea. I can always use money saving ideas. Who couldnt??? 😀

• Deirdre

I think Hometalk provide the links. You can make washing soda from baking soda. If you Google it you'll see how it's done.

• Victoria

Ok its not totally home-made!! But its a way of mixing ingredients that work together and stretching them out. Thus creating more for less. Dora do you have a homemade mixture thats good? If so, please share!

• Karen

Do you use the same amount of detergent as the HE recommendations on store bought detergent?

• Connie Forte

Can dawn platinum be used in place of Dawn Ultra? The other has the chemical Methylisothiazolinone, MIT, or MI so I'm switching because Dawn Platinum does not contain this chemical.

Can I also add essential oils to this recipe?

• Sammie

How much do you use for one load? Also, have you used this for heavy stained items, such as pre-soaking?

• Char Yates

Now, how much to use in a load of laundry??

• Ruth

Is this safe for HE machines? if yes, how much per load?

• Wan6683638

Do you need a fabric softener with this?

• Megan Aubrey

If you want! That's a preference. I stopped using softener years ago and don't notice a difference!

• RWLM

I have tried 'natural' no chemical detergents before for a few years, but eventually the whites or light colored clothing started to look dingy. Has anyone used this for a couple years, that could tell us if that's the case with this type of mixture?

• Mona Blake

Try adding lemon juice to the detergent just prior to using. 1 tsp per load. This will remove the dingy.

• Jackie

How much do you use per load?

• Linda Sikut

This is in the article:

I use 1/2 cup per regular load. This is HE washer friendly!

• Robin

I use this and I use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup per load. I've been using this laundry soap for about 2 years

• Brenda Hoover Frigaard

How much for a full load?

• Linda Sikut

This is in the article:

• Liz

Why are borax and washing soda still being considered safe and used in "Green Cleaning", when both are dangerous skin, eye, respiratory and lung irritants? Google dangers of washing soda, too. https://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2011/02/borax-not-green-alternative-its-cracked-be

• Sally Hruska

how nuch do use each load we have hard water

• Peggy Patrick

Said above 1/2 cup per regular load..not sure about hard mineral water. Maybe someone else will know.

• Jean Schindler

If washing soda is used why is baking soda listed in the ingredients? Can baking soda be used instead?

• Sherri

The writer is not the one listing those ingredients, it's Hometalk so it's probably just an error.

• Jean Schindler

Thank you.

• Shannon Pratt

I’ve read online you can make your own washing soda out of baking soda especially if you’re unable to find it in stores near you.

• Kim Dunlap Gordon

I would love to try this but how much do you use per load???

• Paula

Do you have to use Dawn or can you use other dishwashing liquid?

• Gayleklinker

Can it be used in HE machines?

• Lady EJ

Can you use the old laundry container jug

• Annie

I am thinking this will be great for some things but how about the delicate items like a slip- dark clothes isn't borax like a bleach?

• Amy P

No, borax is not a bleach and the small amount added to this recipe shouldn’t cause any harm at all. If you look at the ingredients on your store bought laundry detergent you will see the ingredient boric acid which is borax. Borax is the cleaning agent in most laundry detergents. It’s also in contact lens solution!

• Blue Hair

How much of your detergent do you use per load?

• Darlene

On top it lists the ingredients and it says 3 tablespoons of Washing Soda, on the bottom it lists Baking Soda for this project. Which is it?

• Brenda Schoenwald

Her picture shows Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda.

• Darlene

Yes, I see the picture, but the ingredients say something else. Thank you for responding

• Wer3338025

I was going to ask the same question... did you ever get ab answer?

• Megan Aubrey

Don't look at the resources! I didn't put them there! They are ads I have no control over! So please only look at my post and not the Resources list.

• Dhe32008359

How much of the final product do you use for a load of laundry???

• Megan Aubrey

One cup!

• Deb

Megan – at the top of the article you say you use a half cup and in this answer you say you use one cup. Can you clarify?

• Kelly Baez-Liranzo

Is that dawn the only thing i should use? What other options do i have and will it be just as effective? TIA!

• Penny DiLoreto

Dawn is a degreaser and a stain remover so that's why I would use Dawn

• Christine Reed

How does the finish laundry smell.

• Heyleensita Blc

What is the difference between washing soda and baking soda?

• Lori Marcel

How much of this do you put into the washer?

• Andrea Zona

How much is used for each load of laundry?

• Lori Bennett

How much do you put in per load? 1/2 cup?

for large load? Anyone?

• Lynn Nocera

How much to put in the washer?

• Jodi Curtis

Can this detergent be used for an HE washing machine?

• Carla Shepard

I would like to try this but I have a question. Do I use Arm&Hammer Baking soda or Arm&Hammer Washing Soda. I’m a little confused on that.

• Carla Shepard

Do I use Baking Soda or Washing Soda?

• Donna Porcaro

Washing Soda. It is made for washing clothes . You will find on the same isle as detergent.

• Wanda

Washing Soda is different. You can find it along with Borax on the top shelf of the laundry aisle. Dollar Stores usually stock it too.

• Crystal

Can this be used in the front loading HE washers???

• Anita Kuhns

How much can you use per load?

• Kim Thompson

will that really clean that well??? Only 3T each of borax and wash soda and 2T dawn with all that water??

• Megan Aubrey

I think it does!

• Wendi

I have been using it for about four years now. Love it. Yes, sometimes it works better. My whites are no longer gray.

• Annette McClure

How much do you use per load?

• Belinda Campbell

is this septic safe

• DeAnn

How much do you use for a HD washer?

• Karen Ball

Can you use lemon and other scents to the mix?

• Maribel Marquez

It’s awesome! One thing I’m concerning about people who have their sensitive skin problem with the Borax. How could you solve it? Let me know. Thanks

• Megan Aubrey

Hmm. I’m not sure about this one. Anyone have any substitute suggestions??

• Cary Evonne Richardson

We have extremely sensitive skin and have never had a problem with the original homemade laundry detergent with Borax. What we do is a double rinse. We have been using it for about 5 years and never had any problems. Before we had to use the All Clear and Free and double rinse.

• Jane

Hi, Megan. I am trying this for the first time today and I don't see any suds after filling the washing machine about 1/10th of the way. Did I make it right?

Jane

• DebWor

Since I have never used borax. Do your clothes smell good. Also I wash most clothes in cold water in a top load machine.Do I need to desolve it in hot water first.

• Megan Aubrey

My clothes do not have a scent because I do not add any essential oils. No need to dissolve further than what is done in the recipe while making it.

• Claudia

How much of the solution do you use for each wash load? I have a front loading washer.

• NaniJen

Do you use "washing soda" or "baking soda "? Or is there no difference? In the photo you show washing soda, but in list of ingredients, you say baking soda.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to be sure to use the correct product. Thank you for this! Being on a fixed income, any money saving tips are much appreciated!

• Megan Aubrey

Washing Soda!

• Janet

Its washing soda. I dont know if you live in Canada but i find washing soda at NOFRILLS . Its $6.97. Enjoy

• Lisa Sinclair

You can make your own washing soda, by dehydrating baking soda in the oven. Just search how right here on Hometalk.

• Aiokersonalicea1

NaniJen

There is never a dumb question!!

When you're dealing with chemicals it's best to ask all the questions that you can so you don't have a blow up.

• Curious

Is this safe for washers that require HE detergents. Dawn is high in suds.

• Lisa Sinclair

You only use 2 tbsp of Dawn, for a whole gallon of laundry detergent. I don't think there would be a problem, I know I'm gonna give it a try

• Sharon L Rabideau

Do you have to use Dawn of can you use a different one like Gain?

• Michael

Yes

• Dixie Earle

Michael. Yes you have to use Dawn or yes you can use a different one?

• Bklyn Cowgirl

I agree, yes what? You can usually get a small bottle of Dawn at dollar stores so I would stick with that even though I do use Gain for my dishes.

• Eva Lietz

Dawn is used in a lot of things, I personally would use it.

• Jan

How much do I use per load?

• Sherry Fisher

Washing soda or baking soda? I thought these were two different products!

• Megan Aubrey

Washing soda! Hometalk puts ads in that are confusing and I have no control over them!

• Sandy Wegmann

Washing soda can be bought at Walmart or any hardware store -- will last you for ages at only a couple tablespoons per batch! Cheap and does a great job. I have not bought detergent for years!! Clothes are clean, too -- sometimes I add some Oxy or bleach, depending on the dirt or stains, I am dealing with!

• Carolyn

What is washing soda? Same as baking soda? If not where can I get it?

• Helen Jefferson

What about the newer washers that require special detergent? Is this type safe?

• Megan Aubrey

It sure is!

• Fuzz

I doubt it. Dishwashing detergents are made to foam and that is not what you want in the high efficiency (h.e.) machines.

• Sue Hendricks

No

• Windy Gonzalez

I tried it and my clothes did not get clean. They still had a "dirty smell". I tripled the ingredients and that seemed to work pretty good. I'm just concerned that overtime that might kill the color in the clothes.