How to Hide Those Pesky TV Cables

$35

I have written many times about my hatred of TV cables & wires ( here and here). Hatred may seem like a harsh word (and I guess it is!), but the truth is I really, really, really dislike seeing those black cables dangling from the TV. In every room of our house, we have a TV mounted on the wall.
However, today, I will share what we did in our living room. This post’s pictures have been sitting on my camera’s SD card for months. I am totally behind on writing this, but I am excited to share it with you all today!
First, let’s start with a Before picture. There’s the TV sitting on the wall. I placed it above our electric fireplace. You can see those gorgeous (NOT) wires dangling under the TV.
The solution I will share with you today involves routing the TV cables inside a channel formed my molding. First, we gathered several long 1×2 boards and nailed them to the wall. We nailed four boards vertically from the floor to the ceiling: 2 to the left of the fireplace and 2 to the right. We spaced the two adjacent boards about 1.5″ apart. Notice how there is a gap in the wood on the left side. This is where the TV cables will be routed.
We used a spare block of wood as a spacer to ensure uniformity between the two adjacent boards throughout.
Here you can see how the wire fits right between the molding.
Now it’s time to determine how many horizontal moldings you want. I chose three. I placed six 1x2s horizontally between the vertical boards. The lowest set of horizontal boards will serve as the channel for the wires.
Next remove the TV from the wall. It’s time to add caulk to all seams and edges for a smooth look.
Once the caulk is dried, paint the whole thing white, including the wall between the wooden boards. I am in love with the way this project came out. Simple molding made such a big difference in our living room!

EngineerMommy