Hayden Scharrer
Hayden Scharrer
  • Battle Creek, MI

Farmhouse Style Bedroom Makeover

$400
1 Weeks

We finally got around to our farmhouse style bedroom makeover! This has been a long time coming as I started this over 6 months ago and it just never got finished. Some new bedding got me back into the spirit and ready to tackle this project!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
This was the listing photo from when we bought the house. Hubby bought the house without me seeing it and I kid you not I cried the first time I saw it. It was an absolute disaster! I hated the wood paneling and the terrible carpet that was in here. I had no idea how easy it would be to makeover this room!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
I started by painting all the walls in a fresh white coat of paint. We used Marshmallow by Sherwin Williams HGTV Home. I used a large nap to get in all the crannies of the beadboard so I wouldn't have to cut in with a paintbrush later. Just a coat of paint brightened up our bedroom so much and made it seem so much bigger!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
I also repainted our dressers. They were hand-me downs and were beautiful french provincial dressers but needed to be refinished. I painted the long dresser in White Linen chalk paint and the tallboy in Annie Sloan Coco chalk paint. I then distressed to give them that antiqued farmhouse style.
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
We then added some open shelving for less than $20. It draws the eye upward and I can change out the decor anytime I want. You can find that tutorial here on my blog.
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
The last update we did was all new bed linens. This included a new quilt, new vintage washed sheets and replacing my euro shams with those white ruffled ones!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
Who knew that new bedding could completely transform a room on its own?!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
I also made this sign one night for over our bed. I had an extra sign left over that I hadn't done anything with. It fits out farmhouse style theme perfectly!
farmhouse style bedroom makeover
Links to all bedding can be found on my blog here!

• Paint
  • Quilt
  • Sheets
Hayden Scharrer

2 questions on this project

• New Moon Vintage
    Jan 28, 2018

Great job and looks beautiful!! Trying to add more farmhouse to my space.

• Teresa Yeates
    Feb 16, 2018

I have to say first, beautiful job, second, men are so lovely about letting us do the majority of the decorating are they not? I mean in many cases we end up with lot of our choices and hopefully we think about what they like as well. Still there are a lot of men with a lot of extra pillows on sofas and beds, frilly things they would not normally buy, and accent pieces only we truly appreciate.