Alchemy Home
Alchemy Home
  • Alexandria, VA

Indian Inspired Antique Dresser Makeover

Since the weather is finally starting to warm up, I can feel myself switching back to "summer" colors after a long winter full of grey and black! I picked up this antique dresser last week, and here's what I did to bring some life to it:
indian inspired antique dresser makeover, chalk paint, painted furniture, rustic furniture
The top left was our "before" picture...the bottom drawer needed some repairs (as well as the back of the piece), but it does have a gorgeous wood grain!
I wanted to keep some of the beautiful, original wood while also bringing some color to the piece. I started off by stripping the top and painting the base of the piece in a shade of turquoise chalk paint that I mixed up.
I used General Finishes gel stain in "Antique Walnut" to stain the top with only one coat and love the new darker wood!
I stenciled a pattern over the original wood finish on the sides of all of the drawers, using shades of golden yellow, coral, and a lighter aqua blue.
I completed the piece by painting the hardware in an oil rubbed bronze metallic and coating the piece with two coats of General Finishes high performance polyacrylic to protect the new finish.
I'm totally in love! And she's available in our Etsy shop, for anyone else who loves her as much as we do:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/185806379/rustic-turquoise-and-wood-antique?ref=shop_home_active_1

Alchemy Home

• Jo

Would have loved to see that stenciling on the front of the drawers. Too nice to hide.
  • Jane M. Eckert

I painted a dresser I got out of the garbage room yeah WOW!!! how do I do the painting on the inside of the drawers, it looks beautiful what you did, can I do this too, and what colors are good with burgundy. thanks Jane.
    , this is me Jane Mary Hello