How do I paint a resin fountain with waterproof paint?

+4
I've had this fountain for several years and I've cleaned and repainted it more than once. The problem is the paint doesn't hold up. No matter how I prime it, sand it or prepare the surface, the paint quickly starts to peel and flake off. Notice in the picture I also have a problem with calcium deposits from my well water. Maybe some kind of marine paint?
q how do i paint a resin fountain with waterproof paint
  • Ken Ken on Jan 23, 2018
    Marye, you might have just used a paint that was not compatible with the plastic. Down side to this is that you will now have to remove all of the old paint before you try again. Cleaning is not enough since the previous layers are not adhering.

Krylon and Rust-Oleum both make spray paints formulated for use on plastics.
  • Sharon Sharon on Jan 23, 2018
    Marine Epoxy Paint, the kind used on boat bottoms for watery environment.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jan 23, 2018
    Have you tried an epoxy paint? The problem is the resin..it is designed with a "finished" surface meant to seal out weather... only sun seems to effect it...
    You may have to put a concrete type of layer over the resin.. test to make sure it "sticks" you could also try paint or epoxy surfaces that are meant to be used on fiberglass boats.
  • Jamie Jamie on Jan 23, 2018
    one of the biggest things you have to do after you have sanded your item is to completely let it dry. And I mean dry. If there is any moisture you will have problems with paint permanently adhering. You need to prime with concrete paint and paint with concrete/cement paint. They do make it in spray cans.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jan 23, 2018
    After I paint my outside yard ornaments, I always spray them with poly urethane.