Annie
Annie
  • Canada

Dry Herbs Without a Dehydrator

$2

Herbs are great! They are easy to grow and easy to dry so you can enjoy them all year round.

Grow perennial herbs like Oregano, Thyme, Mint and Lovage - they will die back in the fall and start growing again in the Spring.
dry herbs without a dehydrator
This is Lovage and it grows about 5 feet high! Think of all the leaves you could dry from this plant.
dry herbs without a dehydrator
Snip the stems as low as you can but be sure to leave some stems on, so it will continue to grow. You can get several pickings of leaves over the growing season.

If you are going to dry them in the basket, snip all the leaves off and throw out the stems.
dry herbs without a dehydrator
You can let them air dry in a basket or shallow bowl. Take a look here to see even more ways you can easily dry any kind of herb without using a dehydrator.

dry herbs without a dehydrator
If you dry your herbs in a bowl, be sure to run your fingers through and stir up the leaves a few times a day. An open weave basket works better because there is more air circulation.
dry herbs without a dehydrator
I use a different method to preserve Basil, because dried Basil is just...no.

Come on over to Country Living in a Cariboo Valley to see how we enjoy fresh tasting home grown Basil, even in February!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 12, 2018 11:48 PM - More info
Annie

• Diane Taylor Noel

What do you use lovage for?

• Regina Jones Herman

Love this project! I’ve been growing herbs in my garden for a couple of years now. My problem is, how do I know when to collect them for drying? Thanks in advance!

• Annie

They are best picked before they flower - you can snip a few leaves to use fresh before then. When you see them starting to get flower buds then cut stem off low and use those leaves for drying.

• Charlie Fusco

I grow so many herbs but have never really dried or frozen any. Basil - running for top favorite with rosemary - we use constantly. Have you done anything with dill or cilantro? Our growing season in Florida is minimal for these as the sun burns them up or they damp-out in the rain. What's the best method of saving them with full flavor?

• Annie

I have dried both and just dried them in the shallow bowls like the other herbs above. Dried herbs always lose some flavour, for sure...living where you do could you plant them in pots and put them in the shade to pick fresh?