How can I get that mildew smell out?

+6
I have some beautiful wool blend slacks that were forgotten in the washer. Now they have the awful smell of mildew. They can't go in the dryer, have to hang dry & that just makes the smell worse! I have tried washing in vinegar but still when I get them out of the washer they have that terrible smell. I love these slacks & hate to throw them out. Please help!

• Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Jan 24, 2018
    Rewash the slacks and add 1 cup of baking soda to the wash in addition to your detergent. You might want to add an extra rinse cycle and liquid fabric softener too.
  • Wash cold inside out with vinegar and baking soda at least a couple good heaping tablespoons. Then let air dry till the odor dissipates. See if that does it. You could always soak overnight in a tub with 50/50 vinegar and water.
  • Janice Janice on Jan 24, 2018
    rewash with gain detergent and febreeze
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 24, 2018
    Febreeze is a odor masked not use it.....you can soak the pants in the tub dry with baking soda first, then if need be re-wash
  • Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Jan 24, 2018
    all else fails, try taking to a dry cleaners and see if they can solve your problem
  • Jencoodey Jencoodey on Mar 02, 2018
    Thank you all for your tips! The vinegar & baking soda did the trick after a couple of times through. So happy
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 02, 2018
    Soak them in cold water and vinegar for a while and hang out in the sun to dry.