Gorgeous Recycled Sweater Valentines Decoration

$1

I keep all my old families old wool sweaters to recycle. When I came across this particular stripey jumper I had just the right project for it. I was going to use it to make a lovely Valentine's decoration for my home.

You don't have to have a stripy sweater for this craft any old wool sweater patterned or plain in a pinky, reddish or purple color would work just as well.

The only other thing I used with this DIY was an old wire coat hanger.
gorgeous recycled sweater valentines decoration
The first thing I did was shape the coat hanger into a heart shape and clip off the hook with some wire clippers.
The next thing I did was to felt the sweater by putting it on a hot wash in the washing machine and then the tumble dryer. This shrunk the sweater and felted it.
I cut off the sleeves as I didn't need them for this craft. However, they won't go to waste as I will use them to make a lovely scrap felt garland like this one here.
I then turned the rest of the sweater inside out and using a rotary cutter (like this one) I cut the sweater into even sized strips and turned it into one long piece of felt yarn.
I cut the sweater up to make the felt yarn in the same way you would make t-shirt yarn. If you want more details then you will find a good diagram on the blog post at the end.
Finally, to make the lovely heart decoration I wound the felt yarn around the heart frame in a random criss-cross pattern. I used a hot glue gun to glue the strips of felt yarn to the wire frame as I went along.
I carried on until the whole frame was covered.
I'm really pleased with how my Valentine's wall decoration turned out. In fact, I've hung it on my kitchen door and I think I will keep it up all year round.

Do you decorate your home for Valentine's?

Claire at Pillarboxblue