Stitch a Can for Valentine's Day

$2

It was upcycle challenge time again, so we upcycled tin cans for Valentine's Day with a 'sew' fun stitch twist. Who knew you could stitch a tin can?
stitch a can for valentine s day
We filled the cans with water and froze them first. This really helped with the hole punching and kept the cans from denting. After they were frozen, we used a hammer and nail to punch a pattern. I drew the patterns on a piece paper and then taped it to the cans. My son wanted to be involved, so he did the punching while I supervised.
stitch a can for valentine s day
After the holes were punched, I added a light coat of chalk paint. I wanted the cans to look a little worn, so I did not add a second coat of paint. If you don't like that look, give them another coat of paint. I used a thin phillips screwdriver to lay down the sharp edges inside the can created by the punching. I inserted the screwdriver into each punched hole and rolled it around to flatten those edges as best I could. This did make the holes larger, so be mindful of that when punching to keep the holes a good distance apart.
stitch a can for valentine s day
I threaded a tapestry needle with baker's twine and did a simple stitch through the punched holes. I did have to stick my hand into the can, but I was careful of any sharp edges. This is obviously not something that you would want the kids to do. I recommend putting a glove on to protect your hand against any remaining sharp edges inside the can. The stitching only took a couple of minutes because I kept the patterns very simple.
stitch a can for valentine s day
Here are our finished stitched cans.
stitch a can for valentine s day
I wrote the word 'love' on the white can with a silver sharpie. Fill the cans with flowers to finish them off or fill them with your choice of Valentine's Day frills or insert a battery operated candle as an option.

My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies