Metallic Hearts Valentine Sign

$15

We found a beautiful metallic hearts sign at Pier One Imports the we loved and decided to do our own easy knock-off version!
metallic hearts valentine sign
I used a small heart shaped cookie cutter for the pattern on this project, but you could print out a pattern to use as well. I traced the heart shapes on a sheet of aluminium embossing foil. I know that most people don't happen to have sheets of aluminium sitting around like I do, so . . .
metallic hearts valentine sign
a disposable aluminium foil cookie sheet will work great for this project. I traced the hearts on my aluminium sheet using an embossing stylist. Again, probably not a tool that most people have. A dull pencil is a great replacement. I used 20 hearts for my project and cut them out using a standard pair of scissors.
metallic hearts valentine sign
I used Folk Art multi surface paint because this works well with non-porous surfaces. There is really no right or wrong way to do this. The idea is not to cover the hearts completely, but to add a little color and texture to them. I made sure my paint was watered down and dabbed color on them randomly.
metallic hearts valentine sign
Pictured here is the paint I used for this project in case you are curious as to the colors I used. All of the hearts contain the white and coffee colored paint and half of them include a little of the pink, and the other half contains a little of the blue.
metallic hearts valentine sign
I chose to display the hearts on a wood sign. This one was purchased at Wal-Mart in the craft section for about $7. The wood was gray, so I painted it white with two coats of white chalk paint. Alternatively, you could display the hearts in a picture frame.
metallic hearts valentine sign
The hearts were glued to the board using Jewel-It glue, however rubber cement would work well too. I piled a few heavy books on top and allowed the glue to dry overnight.
metallic hearts valentine sign
We just love how this tuned out! The project, less glue drying time took about an hour and a half to complete.

For more information on this project, stop by for a visit!

My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies