Hutch Makeover With Chalk Paint

$200
1 Week

This is a makeover of a dated, oak dining hutch using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey.
Here is the after. What a difference. Keep reading for details on how I completed this look.

This hutch had been in a storage unit for some time and smelled pretty funky, so I started off by sealing the entire piece in Zinsser Shellac. This product along with neutralizing smells helps seal water stains and bleed through. It is always a great idea to coat a piece in Shellac if you don't know its history. I took an old sock and applied it over the entire piece before painting.
Originally, I had decided to rip out the mirrors and replace them with beadboard like on my personal hutch makeover. Once I ripped out the mirror, I realized the paneling on the hutch was real wood! It was in such good condition, so I could not bring myself to replace it. In the end, I think the beadboard backing would have detracted from the simplicity of this piece. This was a huge win.
I used  Annie Sloan Paris Grey for this piece which is a great choice for staying neutral without doing white.

And for the top, I wanted a two toned look so I used my new go to stain  General Finishes Java Gel Stain. The veneer on this top was pretty thin, so I used the stain right on top of the finished wood. This is a technique exclusive to gel stain. It is so pigmented you can use it right on top of finished wood. It definitely has a learning curve, but it has a huge payoff. I'm going to make a video on this technique soon for my YouTube channel, so make sure to subscribe if you want to see it.

I had a shelf cut to replace the glass one in the hutch. You can see it in the pic above. I stained it with the Java Gel to match the top of the sideboard. I applied General Finishes Gel Topcoat to seal both pieces.
To add a touch of masculinity, I decided to replace the old hardware with antiqued cup pulls and knobs. This is more costly and in this case I had to drill new holes for the cup pulls, but it gives the piece a whole new look if you are up for the cost. I purchased the hardware from Menards for around $70, but you could also buy it on Amazon. The pulls are from Hickory Hardware, the Williamsburg Cub Cabinet Pull and the Cottage Cabinet Knob in dark antique copper.
I finished this piece off with some light distressing. Then I sealed the entire piece with Annie Sloan Clear Wax. Then I used a light application of Annie Sloan Dark Wax around my distressed areas.

I wanted to keep the glass in the cabinet doors, so I had to tape them off and spray paint the brass etching with some Rust-oleum Universal All Surface Spray Paint Metallic. This is my go to paint for getting a metal finish on hardware/metal. I used the color Burnished Amber.
If you want to see more pics and details how I created this piece, check out the full post on my blog. You can also visit my Youtube channel by searching for "Christina Muscari." I have lots of tutorials on my channel.

3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Pretty Distressed

• Mary Coakley
    Mary Coakley

What is shellac please?
    • Jayne
      Jayne

The Zinsser shellac is actually a primer that will stick to anything. You can paint anything if you use it, like metal and glass. I painted a countertop in a wet bar and used the Zinsser shellac. You have to throw your brushes away though, do us cheap ones. Don't get it on yourself. It almost has to wear off. I painted all my electrical outlets to match the tile they were on. I sprayed them with this Zin. primer first and painted them.

• Susan Beery
    Susan Beery

Stunning

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

REMARKABLE! Absolutely gorgeous. You did a wonderful job of bringing style and life back in to this old hutch. You're very skilled, talented and patient, and your instructions are great.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!