Faux Brick Backsplash

$100

This faux brick technique can be used in any area of the home, but today we will be using it to do a back splash. It's an easy, inexpensive, and gorgeous DIY that any farmhouse lover would be envious of!
faux brick backsplash
We started with a completely bare back splash.
faux brick backsplash
Measure the length and height that each panel will need to be cut to. Now, mark the panels to correct size to be cut and cut them with the saw of your choice.  I used a jig saw and a table saw to make the cuts.
faux brick backsplash
Next, you need to take the panels in and mark where notches may need to be cut in order for the panels to fit under the cabinets. I just used the table saw to cut back and forth to make a notch in the panels.
faux brick backsplash
Cutting the panels to size is a little like a game of Tetris.  You may have to waste cut a few rose so that they line up when the are hung end to end (side by side.) I found it easiest to lay the panels flat on the ground in a line as I cut them to make sure they lined up exactly.
faux brick backsplash

Now, your ready to set your panels in place.  First, put construction adhesive on the back of the panels and then press them into place.  Use a nail gun or panel nails to attach the panels into place.
faux brick backsplash
This next tip is super helpful for cutting the holes for the outlets!  Take a tube of toothpaste and squirt a little on the corners of each outlet.  Then slide your panels into place.  Then remove the again and the toothpaste will have transferred to the back of the panel showing where you need to cut the hole for the outlet.  To get the exact size of the cut needed trace the outlet cover and then cut your hole slightly smaller.
faux brick backsplash
Now it's time for the faux finish sporadically paint the bricks various colors. I used white, tan, black, gray and brown. Then use a wet rag to blend all the colors together.
faux brick backsplash
Lastly, spread the spackle on like a thin coat of icing and then using your finger rub the grout where the mortar lines are.
faux brick backsplash
Closeup of the finished product
faux brick backsplash
I love it so much!
Amber Foster

• How will you clean this? Without sealing it, you will not be able to wipe it clean without wiping off half of your project!

• The Snarky Princess

I saw another project the person used a poly acrylic on top so she could clean up if necessary - that should work

• Renata

Why wouldn't u paint it n seal it before attaching to wall. Seems it would b easier.

• Amber Foster

I didn’t do it before because it’s imperative to get grout into the seams so they don’t show. It wasn’t that bad painting it on the wall.

• Joy Lynn Burkhardt

How did you seal this project so any cooking residue can be cleaned off!

• Amber Foster

I did not seal it and so far so good. We are getting ready to sale though so I am going to put a matte polyacrylic.

• Penny

Instead of the plywood I used drywall spackle a 5 gallon bucket is cheaper than a 4x8 piece of plywood and easier to handle. I painted my wall a suitable color for my grout once dry, I taped out blocks on my wall. I tinted my spackle with cheap acrylic paint from Walmart (color of choice be sure to get several bottles so you keep your color going through out. Spackle out your blocks( not real thick or they will crack as the spackle drys). Once blocks rough sand. After sanded add a glossy top coat over all. Everyone who came into my house thought it was real.

• The Snarky Princess

Instead of plywood Luan would be a nice substitute too. I've used spackle for a few projects and I could definitely see this as a wonderful solution what size tape are you thinking for the grout lines? I could see using that insulation tape that is used for around doors . Cut it into half the width and make the grout lines . It's thickness would allow you to add dimension to the spackle bricks but not too thick like you said. Once all is dry peel that stuff away and you have nicely spaced bricks.

• Tammy Valencia

I love seeing this! I’m doing it next month when when we remodel our kitchen. We’re in the middle of my livingroom now, and my nieces white washed my brick fireplace, (we still need to paint the screen fire safe black) this will tie my kitchen and livingroom together. I was stumped on what to do for a backsplash, Thank you x 1000!!