Amber Foster
Amber Foster
  • Durant, OK

Faux Brick Backsplash

$100

This faux brick technique can be used in any area of the home, but today we will be using it to do a back splash. It's an easy, inexpensive, and gorgeous DIY that any farmhouse lover would be envious of!
We started with a completely bare back splash.
Measure the length and height that each panel will need to be cut to. Now, mark the panels to correct size to be cut and cut them with the saw of your choice.  I used a jig saw and a table saw to make the cuts.
Next, you need to take the panels in and mark where notches may need to be cut in order for the panels to fit under the cabinets. I just used the table saw to cut back and forth to make a notch in the panels.
Cutting the panels to size is a little like a game of Tetris.  You may have to waste cut a few rose so that they line up when the are hung end to end (side by side.) I found it easiest to lay the panels flat on the ground in a line as I cut them to make sure they lined up exactly.

Now, your ready to set your panels in place.  First, put construction adhesive on the back of the panels and then press them into place.  Use a nail gun or panel nails to attach the panels into place.
This next tip is super helpful for cutting the holes for the outlets!  Take a tube of toothpaste and squirt a little on the corners of each outlet.  Then slide your panels into place.  Then remove the again and the toothpaste will have transferred to the back of the panel showing where you need to cut the hole for the outlet.  To get the exact size of the cut needed trace the outlet cover and then cut your hole slightly smaller.
Now it's time for the faux finish sporadically paint the bricks various colors. I used white, tan, black, gray and brown. Then use a wet rag to blend all the colors together.
Lastly, spread the spackle on like a thin coat of icing and then using your finger rub the grout where the mortar lines are.
Closeup of the finished product
I love it so much!
Amber Foster

• Joy Lynn Burkhardt

How did you seal this project so any cooking residue can be cleaned off!

• Amber Foster

I did not seal it and so far so good. We are getting ready to sale though so I am going to put a matte polyacrylic.

• Just curious are your counters vinyl covered?

• Ida9464

looks great. Would the old antique style Chicago bricks look bad now a days? You know kinda reddish brown with dark grey and all chipped up through the years? Anyone and everyone can answer? I don’t want to make stupid looking brick wall...tia!

• Robin

I think brick is classic and always in style. You can ‘modernize’ the look by painting it if you think the original color is outdated.