Asked on Jan 27, 2018

Need advice about stain

Janet PizaroG.B. WootJohnavallance82
+10

I am staining a barn door . My floors are mostly brown with a tad bit of gray and my walls are light-med gray. What would look better on color of stain? Weathered gray stain ? Or if I’d want to put a little brown stain on door with the first coat of gray stain, how would I do it? Thanks!

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would just dry brush a little of the brown onto the stained gray door. When you get your achieved look stop. Tip, you want very little paint on the brush, brush off excess stain onto newspaper.
  • Linda
    Linda

You pick color with paint and stain chips Then apply with cheese cloth or a rag, Brushes are hard to use unless you like brush lines.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Or you could go for a contrast - Deep turquoise
    • Glen
      Glen

John, that’s so out of my box but id sure like to try it! Thank you!
    Janet Pizaro

what other colors are in the room
    • Glen
      Glen

Gray sectional,, brown walnut rocking chair, some beige color baskets...... more solid neutral colors. I have old mason blue jars and hope to bring out that color ( sort of aqua) in the room. Open concept so I have white cabinets....
  • G.B. Woot
    G.B. Woot

The best interior design tip I've received that helps me with this sort of thing is consider shades. .... A room should have light, dark, and medium of what ever colors you choose. for example - if the floors are dark, the cabinets are light, then the wall needs to be medium. No matter what color you go with, this will be the trick to having a great look.
    Janet Pizaro

introduce lightly the aqua color on the door.
    • Glen
      Glen

Still on the fence about aqua on a barn door ! I’m gonna try it on a scrap piece first! would You just do the gray stain and not the brown at all then aqua? Or would you do all 3?(with only a small amount of aqua).
    Janet Pizaro

Personally the gray and aqua not the brown