Make a Deco Mesh Ladybug for Your Front Door

$20

I have a friend who loves ladybugs, so I made these fun deco mesh ladybug hanging for her front door!
I began with this 12 inch wire wreath form and secured red pipe cleaners across the center. These will be used for the body of the ladybug later.
I used dollar store deco mesh in rolls that were 6 inches wide by 5 yards each. (I lost track of how many rolls I used). I cut my pieces in 8 inch pieces and rolled them into tubes. I took 3 tubes, pinched them in the middle and secured them with a half pipe cleaner.
I attached my rolls with the same pipe cleaner I used to secure them.
I attached the clusters of tubes around the outside two wires of my wreath and pushed them together to make them quite full.
When I had 90 percent of my wreath complete I stopped to allow some room to attach my ladybug's head.
I used vinyl and cut out large circles with my Fiskars extra large punch to add the dots to the back of my ladybug.
For my ladybug's head, I really wanted to have a dimensional head, so I picked up a package of half-spheres of styrofoam.  I wanted to paint it with black spray paint.  Spraying styrofoam will often eat away at the foam, so I began by coating my styrofoam with a couple of coats of Mod Podge to protect it.  The result is number one in the photo above and would have worked perfectly, but alas, it was much too small.  I tried a plastic plate which I also painted, but it was too flat (number 2).  This is kind of sounding like the story of Goldilocks now, isn't it?  Finally it came to me, one of those oversized ornaments I used so much at Christmastime.  I cut it in half and painted half of it black and had a perfect head for my ladybug!
I used two pipe cleaners to fashion antennae for my ladybug.
I made a pair of holes in my half of a Christmas ornament and attached it to the wreath frame with a pair of pipe cleaners. I attached my vinyl circles to circles cut from a sheet of craft foam. Three pipe cleaners twisted together form the seam where my ladybug's wings would meet and glued the dots to the deco mesh for my polka dots. Now he is ready to brighten the front door!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Dollar store deco mesh 6 inch by 5 yds.  (Dollar Tree)
  • Wire wreath form  (Dollar Tree)
  • Pipe Cleaners  (Amazon)

Chloe Crabtree

• Elsa

Do spray anything on it to prevent the fading on the mesh?

• Ann Stough

What can I do to prevent burlap from fading?

• Brenda Duncan-Smith

How do I make a tube with the mesh and it will not fall apart because I don't get it to tight or so tight it looks weird

• Chloe Crabtree

You just need to experiment with curling them to the right consistency, it isn't really something that can be measured exactly. Try some out, you will quickly get the hang of it.

• Carol Cole

Very inspiring , I love them all.

• Pj

Don't ya love it when you ask questions & nobody answers?