Making a No-sew Bed Skirt With Canvas Drop Cloths!

$20

Now, more then ever, budget is an issue in my new life as a single gal so when it came to putting the finishing touches on my new guest bedroom I knew I was going to have to get really creative. Once I completed the old steel bed frame ( check out that transformation here) I really really really wanted some ruffles for a bed skirt. But not like really girly ruffles, they still needed to be farmhouse and country ruffles, nothing too feminine because that just wouldn’t be my style.
making a no sew bed skirt with canvas drop cloths
I do not sew, nor am I crafty, but looking online I found a dilemma that even if I did find a bed skirt I liked (which I didn’t) I would still have to modify it as this bed is only going to work with a bed skirt on the sides and not the foot. While I was painting the furniture for this room I used canvas drop cloths to protect my floors so they were with me when I was trying to figure this out. A light bulb went off. Why can’t I just use them?
Drop cloths would be country, rugged, not too girly, but I could fold them to create ruffles if I wanted to! I grabbed my scissors, my hand stapler and got to work! I used the same method here that I used when I made  the curtains on my closet doors.
I cut my “bed skirt” MUCH longer then the length of the bed and only as wide as I needed to have about half of it on the bed and half of it hanging just to the floor.
Then I stapled it to either end, then I found the middle and stapled it there, then I repeated by finding the middle and stapling it there until I had these little folds which I then also stapled down. I just eyeballed finding the middle as I went. (To find the middle of the fabric after it was stapled I just put myself between two staples and held it up taught then stapled that center point down.)
All in, I am pleasantly surprised by how much this dressed up this old bed. I have always HATED bed skirts, honestly I never owned a bed where the bed skirt fit correctly at all. Most of the time it was hanging halfway off the bed on one side etc and just looked terrible.
I remember finally using safety pins on my last bed skirt when I still had a box spring. In this case I could use staples because the mattress is temper-pedic and only requires a hard surface to lay on top of. In the case that you wanted to do this project with a regular mattress and box spring I don’t see why you couldn’t just use safety pins instead of staples!
Thanks for checking out my little no-sew canvas drop cloth bed skirt project! Can’t wait to show you the rest of the projects coming up soon and my final reveal of my country girl guest bedroom and library!

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Crafty things

What about cat hair? I had a bed skirt once...had to Rio it off & throw it away....had a whole cat in it !😂

• Maria

Use a dollar store lint roller brush to remove cat hair, dust and dirt. The sticky paper works great!

• Lacey

Great idea and I am looking forward to trying it. Is there any way to make your post "Printer Friendly" so I can print the instructions? I am a little old fashioned and don't want to lug my computer into the bedroom.

Thanks again

• Jewellmartin

Lacey, for the future—if you are already paying for internet or WiFi, you should be able to get Hometalk on your cell phone. Under Settings you could enlarge the size of the words if you need to. Hope this helps.

• Renata

Just curious of the purpose of a bed skirt

• Patricia

I live in a "Small Space" so the storage under the bed is FILLED with sealed bags and totes of winter bedding and my winter clothing. The bed skirt looks SO much nicer then seeing blue canvas bags or totes. And when it gets dirty with pet hair from the cat and dog or dust, I wash it and either completely change the look of the room by putting on my other one, or putting it back on.

• Linda

Always looking for new ideas for bed skirts. Have a cal-king bed, very difficult to find a skirt (sleep numer bed that's a bear to lift. Have limited mobility and hope to convince my helper join in lol! Thanks for the great idea. Even have supplies needed! TY!

• E95656

I absolutely love this! So my style.