How would you remove hair spray from a stained wood door?

+11
Over the years I have used Paul Mitchel hair spray and now it is caked on the oak stained and poly-urethaned finish on my bathroom door. I have tried alcohol, goo gone, dish soap and water, etc. but nothing removes the caked-on hair spray.

I was thinking I could try paint remover, but then it would probably strip the stain and polyurethane off the door as well. I could also try to sand it smooth, but then the stain and polyurethane most likely wouldn't match unless I refinished the entire door.

Any suggestions other than reinventing the wheel, so to speak. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Kathy Truax
katruax123@gmail.com

• Ken Ken on Jan 29, 2018
    Try mineral spirits based paint thinner.
    • Kat24209075 Kat24209075 on Jan 30, 2018
      Hi Ken:
      Thanks for the tip, but do you think it will take off the polyurethane along with the hair spray?
  • Fran Fran on Jan 29, 2018
    Denatured alcohol, gentle and protective
  • Irene Marchionni Irene Marchionni on Jan 29, 2018
    I think the same thing that would remove hairspray would also remove the polyurethane - acetone.
  • Mes28120126 Mes28120126 on Jan 30, 2018
    My Mother had the same problem, except hers was only from about 2 years without cleaning. I just used very hot water to remove the goo. Afterwards I used a good wood cleaner (Murphy's Oil Soap) and warm water to get rid of any small bits left. It worked fine! I guess the moral of the story is to clean your doors regularly.
      You're right about cleaning the doors regularly, but I just never thought about it until I saw the splatter in the right light and the dust with hair spray accumulated on the ridges of the inside design of the door. I will try your hot water along with Just Wishing below's idea to use shampoo. Thanks for responding.
  • Justwishing Justwishing on Jan 30, 2018
    In a spot that is not to obvious try this - put a little shampoo on a damp cloth and see if that will rub it off. It takes hair spray out of your hair and I have known some that it worked for. If this doesn't work I would mix baking soda and white toothpaste together, form a paste and with a damp rag rub it in a circular motion. This may do the trick as well. Good Luck
      Thanks, Just Wishing. I will definitely try that with the very hot water and use some gloves.
  • Pit32436207 Pit32436207 on Jan 30, 2018
    You can try a product called Kurd Kutter. It works wonders on everything. I found it in Home Depot.
    Sorry (computer always thinks it’s auto correcting) product is Krud Kutter. Most jobs just spray, wait & wipe. My kind of cleaning🙂
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Jan 30, 2018
    try some Dawn Dish Soap
  • MMM MMM on Jan 31, 2018
    I'd start with hot water and a cleaner - either Dawn, ammonia, or Mr. Clean type product. If it's still sticky, you might try Goo Be Gone - it works on labels and things like that. Of course, try in an inconspicuous place first. Good luck. :)
  • Carrie Beal Carrie Beal on Dec 19, 2020

Are use a flat mop like the kind that is made of microfiber. I take a small spray bottle, 1/4 Seventh Generation dish soap (lemon or citrus.) I spray that floor in a very small area to test it and mop and in the area I take a microfiber rag that is wet and wipe up where I just mopped. It has always worked for me on my stand wood flooring.