Borei Design
Borei Design
  • Simpsonville, SC

DIY Upcycled Paper Mache Bird Sculpture

$5

Make a cute Carolina Wren or other bird sculpture for your home using primarily household supplies. Complete easy to follow tutorial with free printable pattern.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Print and cut out the body (free pattern available on my site) from an old cardboard box and pad each side of the body with crumpled newspaper, junk mail, used wrapping paper or etc. Wrap the entire thing in masking tape.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Add tail feathers and wings from lightweight cardboard such as a cereal box (free printable wing pattern available on my site).
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Make feet, toes and legs from wire and tooth picks using hot glue. Wrap in floral tape to help secure.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Add to the bottom of your bird securing with a little hot glue.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Cover the entire bird in Activa FastMache and prop in a standing position to dry.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Once the bird is completely dry. Decorate as desired.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
I like to decoupage mine with copies of historical newspapers using Mod Podge and then paint with acrylic craft paint. Since I was making a Carolina Wren (the State Bird of South Carolina) I used a copy of a newspaper from my hometown in the 1800s. These newspapers a free for printing and a link is available on my site. When I finished I sealed the entire bird in Mod Podge to give it a nice finished look.
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
For more in depth instructions and the free printable pattern please be sure to visit the original tutorial using the link below. I also have supplies and a gift card for this and many more project up for grabs in a giveaway!
diy upcycled paper mache bird sculpture
Giveaway ends 02/28/2018. If you miss it be sure to sign up for updates on my site to be notified of new giveaways and tutorials.

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

• Activa Fast Mache  (Craft Store or Amazon)
  • Cardboard  (Recycle Bin)
  • Newspaper  (Recycle Bin)
Borei Design

• Anna Ibarra
    Feb 07, 2018

This is just so cute! Love it! I use to make piñatas when my kids were young, maybe I can try it! ANd if i with same process.

• Borei Design
      Apr 18, 2018

Thank you so much! Yes, paper mache is great for pinatas. You can make really awesome ones using cardboard, paper mache paste, newspaper strips and crepe paper.

• Ekc19610
    Feb 28, 2018

My best friend’s ex-wife makes Bucks75/hr on the laptop. She has been unemployed for eight months but last month her income with big fat bonus was over Bucks9000 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site.....

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+