I need some ideas on how to cover up old floor registers. Thanks.

+18
Help me with this, they do not work and l do not have any of the existing flooring to cover them up.
q i need some ideas on how to cover up old floor registers thanks
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jan 29, 2018
    Is there a place you can steal them from like a closet or under cabinets... if the floors are hard wood... some salvage stores carry planks that are similar in size so the new planks can be "laced" in with the old... the finish can be matched, or the floor sanded and refinished to be consistent thru out.
  • Mogie Mogie on Jan 29, 2018
    Hubby used our old floor vents as templates to make covers out of wood. They are solid and very easily painted to whatever color you want. Also no air leakage or bugs that come thru.
  • Andy Andy on Jan 29, 2018
    Ebay
  • Pat Pat on Jan 29, 2018
    When you say they do not work....do you mean no heat comes up or cold air goes down? Both important for furnace to work (we put in a new furnace this year and had to add some cold air registers). How about a throw rug over the register and a small ottoman or bench on top....depends a lot on where the registers are.
    • LaLa LaLa on Jan 29, 2018
      A new furnace was put in and they left the existing reIsgisters.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 29, 2018
    My first question is why do they not work?? that needs to be addressed and resolved before anything else is done.
    • See 1 previous
    • Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 31, 2018
      When the new furnace was installed, was there also a complete new duct system with new floor vents installed as well? Where is your heat now forced out of, if the present vents (old vents) 'do not work'?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 29, 2018
    First off do you need them to work
  • William William on Jan 30, 2018
    They put in a new furnace but that doesn't change the operation of the registers. Are the registers still connected to the ductwork? Did the installers do more than just replace the furnace? I wouldn't mess with them until I was sure they weren't needed. I installed many furnaces in my day and never did it affect registers in any way.
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 31, 2018
    There are many places where you can purchase new replacement covers for floor vents- yes on eBay, in hardware stores, even Walmart sells them.
    Are you looking for new replacement vent covers or are you asking for ideas on coverings that are not vents?

When you said that these old vents 'no longer work' this is a red flag that something is clearly not right with your new system. This needs to be addressed first and foremost before anything is done to change any covers.
    • LaLa LaLa on Feb 01, 2018
      There are new ones that work, view this picture of what the previous owners did, what a mess lol
  • LaLa LaLa on Jan 31, 2018
    They put in new registers and left the old ones. They are not connected to the duct work, odd l know. They are an eye sore and trying to find a way to cover them until l can afford new flooring.
  • William William on Feb 01, 2018
    OK. Use Mogie5757 suggestion. Use the registers as a templates to make wood covers. If you want the covers to be flush with the rest of the floor. Measure the hole opening and cut boards to fit. Use some thinner boards in the hole to support the cut to fit boards.
    • LaLa LaLa on Feb 01, 2018
      Thank you, this sounds like the idea l have been looking for!
  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 01, 2018
    I would pull them out and paint them the same color as the flooring.
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 02, 2018
    Oh My Gosh!  I never would have believed it if you had not posted the picture. I would think that for the amount of time and effort someone took to fit in both covers this way, they could have just done it correctly in the first place. Thanks for sharing what not to do.
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 02, 2018
    You already said that you do not have any spare flooring that matches, but I am wondering if you could take a couple of pieces from an area that seldom shows, such as under a large piece of furniture, in a closet, or similar?
    Take both covers out. Use the 'borrowed' pieces of flooring to cover up the hole from the old vent. Then purchase a new attractive vent cover to go over the new hole.
  • Caryn Caryn on Aug 08, 2019

I'm facing this problem, too. They put the working ones in the floor, so the non working ones are in the wall. I have one in a bathroom in the pretty tile that I need to cover. :(