Emily
Emily
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Old Frame to Functional Wall Art

$13

This was a fun and fairly easy project, and I got to work on this one with a great group of friends! My friend had a collection of old frames that she'd collected from thrift stores over the years and wanted to finally put them to good use. With a staple gun, wire cutters, and chicken wire, we ended up with rustic wall decor. One friend used their piece to hang family photos with clothes pins. Another
old frame to functional wall art
First, we all picked a frame that worked best for our goals. My frame has some rough edges so I gave it a good sanding before I started to avoid splinters.
old frame to functional wall art
Then we had to start cutting the chicken wire into pieces that fit our frames. I didn't wear gloves for this part, but those edges are sharp and if you want to avoid getting poked throughout this process, I suggest I pair of gloves.
old frame to functional wall art
And then I had to pull the chicken wire so it was taut around the frame and grabbed the staple gun.
old frame to functional wall art
I cut off any loose edges in the back and hammered them so any sharp strands laid flat against the back of the frame, so it didn't scratch the wall when I was ready to hang it.
old frame to functional wall art
I had some leftover lace that I used for my wedding veil and I thought it was the perfect way to hang my piece. It is a nice embellishment for a shabby chic look.
old frame to functional wall art
old frame to functional wall art
After I thought I was done, I started wondering if I might like it better if it had a background. I had some leftover material from some upholstery work so I cut a chunk that fit the back of the frame and I stapled it on.
old frame to functional wall art
This is how it looks with the floral material attached. I like it but it is a little busy. I'll keep it like this but maybe someday I'll consider replacing it with a simpler background.

• Wendy

Ohh love it! Fun!

• Cher

So creative. I have a ton of frames I’ve been meaning to do this with. Now I’m inspired 😍😍