How to Make a Pendant Light From a $10 Thrift Store Globe

$20

I found a few vintage globes at the thrift store and knew they would be perfect lighting over my Kitchen Island! This project was fast, easy and so fun to make! Be sure to watch the video tutorial for the step by step.

I used a dremel tool to cut the bottom and top out, going along the attitude lines made it easy. Most old globes are made from heavy chip board, so cutting was simple.

Next I began to drill several tiny holes into the map, there's no right or wrong way to do this. I decided to outline the continents. At night it looks like the light of the city shimmering if looking down on Each from above :)
.
Next I added a light kit that I ordered online, it was pretty simple to screw into the top hole I cut near the north pole.Step 5: What did you do next
I removed all of the hardware, the base and top piece that makes it spin. I used a flat screwdriver and everything pretty much popped out as seen in the video
The video tutorial walks you through each step and shows how simple this was to make. Many of my projects take some time but this was a one type afternoon job
I was so happy with the first one that I made a second one!
for complete instructions, more photos and a supply list please click the link to my blog post at Debisdesigndiary.com https://debisdesigndiary.com/how-to-create-a-light-fixture-from-a-vintage-world-globe/

• Vintage globe  (thrift store)
  • Dremel tool  (amazon)

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Debi Beard

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Did you use an LED bulb?
    Incandescent bulbs become hot and give off heat. Being that the inside of the globe is enclosed, there is no allowance for heat to escape, resulting in the fixture being a fire hazard.
    • Arlene
      Arlene

Seems like all of the projects are flammable. Dangerous

• Maude  LaFountain
    Maude LaFountain

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this !!!! ...I have been looking for me some Globes like that but so far my luck has not been good !!!! Hopefully one day I will find me some !!!

• Vangie Kasten
    Vangie Kasten

Great Idea! Educational too! Finding the globe will be a challenge. Thank you for sharing.

• Blyma
      Blyma

I don't know where you live, but near me I find globes frequently at thrift stores.