Can you paint over peel and stick tile?

+6
The tile is brown with ridges in each one. I think it must have been put down in the late 50’s or early 60’s, but is not peeling up.
q can you paint over peel and stick tile
Floor tile in kitchen, hallway and back bed room.
  • WENDY WENDY on Jan 31, 2018
    I've painted mine, so far so good, going on 2 years
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jan 31, 2018
    Have you tried a heat gun? Fairly cheap to rent one.
  • Barb Barb on Jan 31, 2018
    Try a heat gun in a hidden spot to see if it would work for you!
  • Crystal Meyer Griffith Crystal Meyer Griffith on Jan 31, 2018
    Peel and Stick tile did not exist in 50-60's. The tile was glued down with a mastic. You could try a heat gun and a metal scraper like you use for drywall or maybe heavier. Had a similar problem in our 1973 house with original tile. Tried all kinds of solvents to get the glue off after we pried up the old tile. Hubby decided to just mop the floor to get rid of the solvents. Turns out the glue was water-soluble. Definitely try water first! LOL
  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 01, 2018
    Yes, you can paint your floor. There is a paint for everything. Make sure you prime it with the right primer.
  • WENDY WENDY on Feb 01, 2018
    I used deck paint to start (I've done 3 floors) then I used regular interior latex paint. I think the secret is to give it at least 3 coats of poly
  • Judy Hooker Judy Hooker on Feb 18, 2018
    Mine was sheet vinyl but I used porch paint that worked good.