Can I paint my laminate cabinets

+6
q can i paint my laminate cabinets
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Jan 30, 2018
    Yes you can, you need to ensure you have a paint that will stick (chalk paint or fusion mineral paint would work), then apply a good sealant a few layers thick. Repair any chips in the laminate prior to painting
  • Har29257872 Har29257872 on Jan 31, 2018
    Yes but use a good primer such as Zinser
    Remove all hardware, Clean them well with vinegar, sand lightly, apply primer
    Then paint - I used a 2 coats of water based interior paint (light coats rather than thick)
    Have fun
  • Use countertop paint. It works well on laminate.
  • Eloise Eloise on Jan 31, 2018
    Yes. I had great results using Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations. It comes in both a dark and light kit. No sanding required. No "use in a well ventilated area."

• William William on Jan 31, 2018
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.
  • I recommend a light sanding if you go with chalk paint. I did my bathroom laminate cabinets and it didn't adhere as well as it could have. I have to be careful with them, as to not scratch them. I plan to paint my kitchen cabinets when we get new countertops, as of now my plan is to use chalk paint (I only have to lightly sand) and polycrylic.

Good luck!
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jan 31, 2018
    You can. Prime and paint with a paint specific to cabinets
  • Jeanne Martin Jeanne Martin on Jan 31, 2018
    The best advice I can give you is use a good quality primer and paint. They will not be cheap but they are worth every penny! After a few failed projects I've learned that cheap is not always the best choice. 😁