How to remove rust from exterior door hinges without removing them?

+5
q how to remove rust from exterior door hinges without removing them
  • Joy Joy on Jan 30, 2018
    try an sos pad
  • P P on Jan 30, 2018
    try wd40 sprayed on & balled up aluminum foil to rub that in & onto the hinges
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 30, 2018
    rub wd o4 on the rust
  • Renee Renee on Jan 30, 2018
    Rust converter spray "paint". Goes on clear and turns black. Rust won't return. Be sure to mask of the places you don't want it. WD40 is one of my favorite products and a staple in my workshop, but I always use dry graphite or spray silicone lubricant on hinges. Wet lubricants collect dust and gum up over time. Remember that paint doesn't stick to silicone, so mask that off, too.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Jan 30, 2018
    Vinegar and a steel wool pad or Naval Jelly (follow directions) will remove the rust.... BUT it is important to seal the metal away from moister as soon as you can... mask around the hinge and use a paint or sealer like Rustoleum.
  • Al Pagano Al Pagano on Jan 30, 2018
    coke
  • Renee Renee on Jan 30, 2018
    I think I made my answer confusing. The rust converter turns black on its own. The benefit is that is actually converts the rust to a different kind of substance and it won't come back on the treated area.