DIY Beeswax Food Wrap

$10

This is a fun little project that is helping me go green and pinch some pennies in the New Year!
Have you heard of beeswax food wraps? I feel like I am seeing them pop up in all sorts of trendy stores, in both kitchen and gift stores. They are so cute, fun patterns and the heavenly scent of beeswax. I was easily converted into a fan!
However, the trendy prices were simply not something I could swallow. So, in true Zest fashion, I decided to DIY my own cute wraps for my kitchen.

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
Supplies:
  • 100% cotton fabric (new or old)
  • natural beeswax
  • cheese grater
  • scissors
  • baking sheet
  • tinfoil
  • clothespins & clothesline
First, start by grating the beeswax. Do enough to fill a mason jar (about 16 ounces).
It’s important that whatever fabric you use, it is 100% cotton. You want cotton because it does the best job of absorbing the beeswax. I have used fabric swatches that I had laying around, but you can recycle old sheets or whatever you have laying around. If it is old fabric, just make sure to clean and maybe even bleach it before you begin the process. I’m all about recycling, but no one wants to store food in dirty fabric!
Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and lay out your fabric swatch. Now, sprinkle the beeswax over the top before sliding the cookie sheet into a 250F oven until the beeswax is completely melted over the fabric. Don’t worry if you use to much beeswax! You can simply reuse it 

Once the beeswax has fully melted, you will see that the fabric has absorbed most of it. I used some clothes pins to hang up the wraps until they cooled and the beeswax solidified (not long).
That’s it! The wraps are ready to use as soon as they have cooled.
The warmth of you hands make them pliable and helps them to hold their shape as you fold them around sandwiches and leftovers.
You can wipe them clean with some mild soapy water and reuse away!

This is such a simple, happy way to start the New Year!
xoxo
Chanda

Zest it Up

• Thea

Is bees wax more pliable than, say candle wax or is there any reason why you can’t use candle wax? Both are not supposed to be eaten, correct?

• Thea

interesting, this answers Rosellas question as well in that it means you probably just rinse and wipe it down to reuse?

• Corinne Coste Charles

Do you wrap the beeswax side in contact with the food? Or the other side?

• Desiree Adamski

Does this keep the contents from drying out though?

• Juanita

It works pretty darn well. Just make sure that you use the warmth of your hands to make the wax soft enough to mould closely to the edge of your container, and that it sufficiently covers any food you wrap with it, just like you would with regular plastic wrap

• Virginia-Ted Rye

I reuse the liners from empty cereal boxes for freezing extra leftover pancakes and other food items. If needed, put them inside a freezer bag. These are sturdy and great for at least another use.

• Virginia-Ted Rye

I wouldn't mind doing this, just not sure where beeswax is available.