Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Beeswax Food Wrap

$10

This is a fun little project that is helping me go green and pinch some pennies in the New Year!
Have you heard of beeswax food wraps? I feel like I am seeing them pop up in all sorts of trendy stores, in both kitchen and gift stores. They are so cute, fun patterns and the heavenly scent of beeswax. I was easily converted into a fan!
However, the trendy prices were simply not something I could swallow. So, in
diy beeswax food wrap
Supplies:
  • 100% cotton fabric (new or old)
  • natural beeswax
  • cheese grater
  • scissors
  • baking sheet
  • tinfoil
  • clothespins & clothesline
diy beeswax food wrap
First, start by grating the beeswax. Do enough to fill a mason jar (about 16 ounces).
diy beeswax food wrap
It’s important that whatever fabric you use, it is 100% cotton. You want cotton because it does the best job of absorbing the beeswax. I have used fabric swatches that I had laying around, but you can recycle old sheets or whatever you have laying around. If it is old fabric, just make sure to clean and maybe even bleach it before you begin the process. I’m all about recycling, but no one wants to store food in dirty fabric!
diy beeswax food wrap
Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and lay out your fabric swatch. Now, sprinkle the beeswax over the top before sliding the cookie sheet into a 250F oven until the beeswax is completely melted over the fabric. Don’t worry if you use to much beeswax! You can simply reuse it 

diy beeswax food wrap
Once the beeswax has fully melted, you will see that the fabric has absorbed most of it. I used some clothes pins to hang up the wraps until they cooled and the beeswax solidified (not long).
diy beeswax food wrap
That’s it! The wraps are ready to use as soon as they have cooled.
diy beeswax food wrap
The warmth of you hands make them pliable and helps them to hold their shape as you fold them around sandwiches and leftovers.
diy beeswax food wrap
You can wipe them clean with some mild soapy water and reuse away!

diy beeswax food wrap
This is such a simple, happy way to start the New Year!
xoxo
Chanda
Zest it Up

• Thea

Is bees wax more pliable than, say candle wax or is there any reason why you can’t use candle wax? Both are not supposed to be eaten, correct?

• User
      18 hours ago

Candle wax (parafin) will just crumble when it's folded. Beeswax, however, will fold without breaking if it's thin enough and warmed by your hands (or even by warm tap water). There are many things put in candle wax that I wouldn't want next to my food, such as synthetic scents, colorants, dyes, etc.

• Do you wrap the beeswax side in contact with the food? Or the other side?

• Desiree Adamski
    Yesterday

Does this keep the contents from drying out though?

• Juanita
      Yesterday

It works pretty darn well. Just make sure that you use the warmth of your hands to make the wax soft enough to mould closely to the edge of your container, and that it sufficiently covers any food you wrap with it, just like you would with regular plastic wrap

• User
    18 hours ago

Parchment paper might work all right, but I wouldn't suggest waxed paper because the wax would adhere to the beeswax. At 250 degrees, it's hot enough to melt the beeswax, but I don't believe that is hot enough to melt the aluminum. 😊

• Catherine
    5 hours ago

You can melt the wax in the jar and brush it on the cloth or do it in a pot and dip the cloth in it by holding the pegs.