Taylor.kimberly001
Taylor.kimberly001
  • Tutorial Team
  • Stone Mountain, GA

Builder Grade Backsplash

$125

Any one that has had a house built from the ground up is an experience that you can’t explain. But once the house is finished and you move in the sense of relief comes. Also, this means you can personalize your home the way you want your personal taste to come out. Let’s get personal!!

builder grade blah, Builder Grade Back Splash
Builder Grade Back Splash
1.       Removing a section of the back splash that the builder installed is the first thing that we need to do. I will point out this is the first time that I took on a personal change in my friend’s new house. Get a chisel and hammer to remove tiles at the grout line. It’s really overwhelming but at the same time exciting. Pick a grout line and start hammering. Once the grout line is taken out; place the chisel behind a tile and start prying and pulling the tile towards you. 
builder grade blah
2. Removing all the tile in the area just above the cook top to now replace all the sheet rock first. This is the surface that will hold the new tile. After realizing that the tile will not have any foot traffic on it; we just replaced the area with sheet rock instead of cement broad is fine.
3. We are using mosaic tile within a picture frame type assembly.
4. After putting mortar on the wall we hung the mosaic tile and apply the border last. 
builder grade blah, Adding the tile with Border
Adding the tile with Border
5. After putting mortar on the wall we hung the mosaic tile and apply the border last. 
builder grade blah, Cleaning out mortar between tiles
Cleaning out mortar between tiles
6. Once the mortar sets we cleaned out some of the mortar that came through while the tile and mortar set. This will give you a more uniform look. I included the homeowners because knowledge is power. And they were very excited to go through the steps.
builder grade blah, Grouting
Grouting
7. Before grouting remove all the spacers first. The last step was to grout and then stand back and look at your work.
builder grade blah, Finished Product
Finished Product
builder grade blah, Personality
Personality!!!
This is the finished product and the homeowner was very pleased. We are looking into re-tiling the butler's pantry. We might be able to have another HOMETALKER!!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 10, 2018 10:50 PM - More info

• Linda

Wow! With your ability...any way I could borrow you for a month? You did beautiful work!

• Taylor.kimberly001

Greetings!! I thank you for your very much for your kind words. If i could travel it would be an option. Have a good D.I.Ying day.

• Gilmer Gal

Where did you get that beautiful tile???

• Gilmer Gal

Thanks! Found one in Plano, Texas! My brother lives there. Guess I need to schedule a visit ;)

• Sharon Porter

This is beautiful. How long have you had it done? How easy is it to maintain?

• Taylor.kimberly001

Thank you and we completed the project in January of this year. It has not been a problem keeping the tile clean. After cooking it's wiped down and go to go. Again, thank you for your interest. Have a good D.I.Ying day! !

• Taylor.kimberly001

Greetings! Actually, because the tile has a glaze on it; clean up is a quick and easy process. Thank you fir commenting on our project. Have a good D.I.Ying day!!

• Debra

GREAT JOB AND VERY NICE!!