Really need help finalizing building of country/retirement home.

Am 75; original contractor was unable to finish house due to degenerative bone disease (too painful to continue). He had settled on a flat fee for the entire job--it was paid in full, but the house is not finished. House needs to be finished quickly so I have a place to live--don't have funds to pay a new contractor. Any ideas?

  10 answers
  • Bijous Bijous on Feb 01, 2018
    So sorry to hear about the contractor, but he is in breach of his contract. Have a home inspector evaluate what's been done and estimate what it will cost to finish. Demand $$ on finish back from contractor. If he refuses, sue.

  • Stacey Reynolds Stacey Reynolds on Feb 01, 2018
    Start with what is most important to take care of. Cosmetic issuses can come last. I would suggest maybe getting a family member to help and just buy the material for each job one at at time. Once you finish one project move tp the next area of house. The contractor should have already went over with you what needs to be done. Or if you have the money call another company that has a good rep! Good luck!

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 01, 2018
    I agree with Bijous, if he could not finish what he was contracted to do, he should refund you. I am sure he could have arranged to have someone take over and just not quit the job totally. He new what was coming with his health and I am sure he could have at least supervised the finish with his subcontractors. It is up to him to get it finished and he entered into a breach of contract.

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 01, 2018
    Yes contractor did not fulfill the contract. No matter what the reason he didn't live up to what he agreed to. If he had finished and you didn't pay the amount agreed to in the contract he would sue you so do the same. He left you in a very bad situation and he needs to pay for that.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 01, 2018
    If the Contractor cannot complete the work, then he must instruct another Contractor to finish the job for him, at his cost, because you have already paid in advance for the finished job. If he is not able or unwilling to instruct another Contractor to complete the work on his behalf, go get Legal advice. because you have the right to have the work completed and charge him for having done so. If you think they maybe a problem about this being done and paid for without trouble, then Go get Legal Advice first...........

  • Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on Feb 01, 2018
    While suing is an option, it will take a long time to go through the process. Does your town have a fraud unit in the police department? Often municipal leaders are effective in resolving this kind of issue. Your local newspaper may also have a hall of shame type columnist who can assist you. Word of advice to all: never pay the full price up front. On construction jobs oin particular, make payments upon completion of certain milestones and keep back about 20% until all work is satisfactorily completed. Best of luck.

  • I agree with all of the comments above. While you feel sorry for the guy, he can't just keep the money and walk away. Start by sending him a certified letter requesting either reimbursement of what it is going to take to complete the job or have him hire and supervise the completion of the job. See what response you receive. In the interim, seek legal counsel - breach of contract. Check the State Bar website for tips on finding a reputable attorney in your field. In the future, never ever pay anyone in full up front. For future reference, check out this link on how to hire a contractor.

  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 01, 2018
    These are all good suggestions but you need REAL legal advise. You may have entered into a contract that specifically says you agree to arbitration. It is sad that you are faced with this now when funds are so limited. Call around to senior centers and see if there is a program in your area that provides discounted legal services to seniors. Also call the Better Business Bureau, they may be able to help you.

  • Carolyn Esparza Carolyn Esparza on Feb 01, 2018
    Unfortunately I didn't word this question sufficiently. I should have put "contractor" in quotes, as this was a friend who did far more than our original agreement before he had to bow out due to medical problems. I'd paid what he asked for; he did far more than I ever expected, and I am now stuck paying a very nice guy by the hour and can't afford him, plus the building supplies I still need. Sorry for the lack of clarity. There is no contract, so no one broke a contract.

  • Carolyn Esparza Carolyn Esparza on Feb 01, 2018
    I'll resubmit the question with more detail.