Planting Strawberries in Old Gutters

3.2K Views
Last year we tried growing our strawberries in old gutters (that we salvaged). We had great success. In the other strawberry beds we had some slug issues, but the slugs didn't seem to find the strawberries up in the gutters. it was pretty cool to rescue something that was just going the thrown out, and start growing in it. I'd like to try a few different things in the gutters now as well, to see how they go. Has anyone else tried growing in gutters? Have you had some success?
  • planting strawberries in old gutters, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Here you can see the strawberries growing in an old gutter.
If you look in the background, you can see the strawberries growing up here on the wall.
Here you can see another angle of the strawberries growing in the gutter.

Suggested materials for this project:

Ock Du Spock

Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL

I love the idea of re-using old gutters for gardens. We even had a post here on Hometalk about a school that had done it is a learning project. And I love those gorgeous galvanized raised beds of yours, too.

• Ock Du Spock
          Ock Du Spock Australia

@Douglas Hunt Thanks so much Douglas. It was a really successful experiment and I'm looking forward to growing in them again!

• Valerie
          Valerie South Africa

The gutters look fantastic - but then so does the rest of the garden!