Painted Floor - A 1964 Single-Wide Mobile Home Make-Over

Two Months in the making.Hand painted plywood sub-flooring.
After spending 15 hours pulling out carpet and padding, tack strips and padding staples, we discovered some incredible sub-flooring. We could not afford wood or laminate and I hate carpets, so we decided to paint the plywood.
After cleaning and sanding, I masked off a border.
Primed and painted the border with a latex flat paint
Masked off 4 inch strips for the wood planks and hand painted with flat black
Did the same process for the dividing lines, staggering them every 4th plank
I used gold enamel for the nail heads and painted a watered down shadow around each painted on nail head
I them stenciled a pattern and did a skinny border. After it dried a used a gold glaze on top of the stenciled area.
Once everything was dry, I masked on a the main design and then painted the entire border using a gloss black latex. Once the paint was dry, I pulled off the masking tape.
After the black paint had dried over night, I used a water based poly urethane to coat the entire surface. This was a gruely project unless you are used to doing 15 hours of squats at a gym everyday. At 53 years old - this actually just about killed me. We like to tell everybody, "Look what we found when we pulled up the old carpet"!
To see our read the entire "make-over" experience, you can follow the progress at www.thewoodssecretgarden.blogspot.com
Floor has dried and and bookcases and desk in place.
Dianna Wood

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 8 questions

Comments

2 of 756 comments
Next