Painted Floor - A 1964 Single-Wide Mobile Home Make-Over

Two Months in the making.Hand painted plywood sub-flooring.
a 1964 single wide make over hand painted sub flooring, diy, flooring, home decor, painting
After spending 15 hours pulling out carpet and padding, tack strips and padding staples, we discovered some incredible sub-flooring. We could not afford wood or laminate and I hate carpets, so we decided to paint the plywood.
After cleaning and sanding, I masked off a border.
Primed and painted the border with a latex flat paint
Masked off 4 inch strips for the wood planks and hand painted with flat black
Did the same process for the dividing lines, staggering them every 4th plank
I used gold enamel for the nail heads and painted a watered down shadow around each painted on nail head
I them stenciled a pattern and did a skinny border. After it dried a used a gold glaze on top of the stenciled area.
Once everything was dry, I masked on a the main design and then painted the entire border using a gloss black latex. Once the paint was dry, I pulled off the masking tape.
After the black paint had dried over night, I used a water based poly urethane to coat the entire surface. This was a gruely project unless you are used to doing 15 hours of squats at a gym everyday. At 53 years old - this actually just about killed me. We like to tell everybody, "Look what we found when we pulled up the old carpet"!
To see our read the entire "make-over" experience, you can follow the progress at www.thewoodssecretgarden.blogspot.com
Floor has dried and and bookcases and desk in place.

Dianna Wood

• Nitekitty

Looks beautiful! Is that just the poly on the wood or did you stain that?

• Dianna Wood

@Nitekitty Just the poly on the wood. But keep in mind this is 1964 plywood. They don' make it like this anymore. We were very fortunate that this was such high quality wood with great grain.

• Kathryn Botard

@Dianna Wood No more old wood, you are very creative and talented. That is a fantastic looking floor.

• Sandy Hartnett

Wow! I'm dumbstruck! You created a masterpiece! I'm in awe...hugs

• Robert

Beautiful; but, how do you keep dust and debris from settling into the poly urethane coat?

• Dianna Wood

@Robert Hi Robert. I "Swiffer" once a day so the dust and debris don;t have a chance to get ground into the finish. After a year and a half. Still looks terrific! We don't have kids, either. lol

• Stacy Grover

During the project, how did you keep dust and debris while poly was wet??

• Denspen

My 1964 mobile home single wide. I'm desperately trying to consildate space so I can have more room for books. Did you cover over any windows in the front room to get more wall space?

• Tru1268994

Absolutely. We sealed a large window with plexiglass and paneled over it, prior to installing the floor to ceiling bookcases.

• Denspen

great , thank-you

• Martha Simmons

Make sure you are in accordance with fire safety rules and ordinances when you cover over a window. It could prove to be a fatal mistake if there would be a fire.

• Denspen

Fire safety rules????? Appreciate the thought but I live in the mountains . I'm surrounded by more trees than homes. My mobile home would go up faster than I could light a stick match.

• Clergylady

Lol. I understand the quick destruction by fire. Saw one burn years ago. I'm working on a 1970 doublewide. I plan to paint the den and kitchen floors. I have beautiful wood flooring, used, to put down and self stick tile for one of the bathrooms. I love the wood look you enhanced with paint. It really sets off the border pattern. I'm going a little easier on this great grandma. Almost black paint and a stenciled pattern in cream and some sparkle powder. I'll paint the floor them stencil and quickly add sparkle then clean and reposition the 6 matching stencils I purchased. I'm 70 and rehabbing my old 47 year old double wide that's been neglected and vandalized. We are tearing out the original orange carpets. I have two floors with Water damage to repair before covering and painting all the floors. Most of the rooms are still original particle board floors. All rooms have old wood paneling. I'm painting all walls. The entire ceiling is being covered with 2'x4' ceiling tiles.

Tons of work but it's coming out beautiful. Structural changes are patio sliding doors being changed to double French doors in the den to backyard and patio doors in master bedroom changing to a single door and a window in the wall where the patio doors are being removed. Nice to see what you are accomplishing.

• RichandTammy Whiteside

I LOVE this idea! God bless you for your creativity and your patience. Being about the same age as you I had to laugh at the squats comment; been there done that too many times. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what a sub-floor is but is it safe to have just a sub-floor?

• Dianna Wood

The sub floor on any raised foundation is simply the plywood that carpet or other flooring would be laid on top of. So yes, safety is no issue. In fact, if you have a raised foundation as opposed to a cement foundation, and you pull up the carpet and padding, you will be looking at the sub flooring. Pull that carpet and padding out - (full of dust mites and all kinds of other gross stuff) and go to it!. You may need to remove and re-install the baseboards- but it is well worth it to reduce allergens and other gross stuff that accumulates in carpet and padding.

• Birdz of a Feather

Wow, incredible. How in the world did you plan and mask that all without a stencil?
    • Dianna Wood

I guess I am a mix between right brain and left brain. I loved figuring out all the angles and lengths of tape I would need and then following that pattern. It actually turned out better than I had originally visualized. Great fun!
    • Willette Buckelew Bagwell

You did an amazing overhaul. I'm inspired by the creativity in your vision of a beautiful makeover. We should all be so talented...

Thank you for sharing.
      Willette Bagwell
      Alabama

• Dianna Wood

Thanks so much Willette!

• Michelle

This absolutely beautiful.

• Sharon Porter

I I love this, it is fantastic. Do you have any suggestions for painting a vinyl tile floor?

• Sharon Porter

• Ginger the farm gal

You would be dangerous at 20yrs old knowing what you know now...you rock girl. They don't make em' like that any more, glad you had the vision for that beautiful floor, after all the work it took to get there. Makes me tired just looking at your project, but well worth it, I am sure that if and when you move that floor will sell the house.

• Smi40503202

What a great job. I was looking at the nail heads and thinking, gosh she needs to countersink her nail heads before she hurts her feet! Lol!