Dollar Store Backsplash

$6

If you’re a regular Dollar Store shopper (and aren’t most DIYers?), you know about those little “gems” in the floral aisle. They’re purpose is to hold your flower stems straight in a vase but there’s so much more you can do with them.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Like make a backsplash!
There are two different kinds of gems - one with a flat back and one that looks like a marble. I used the one with a flat back.
The area I wanted to cover was 24”x10” so three bags would be enough.
This is our basement bathroom. It’s right inside a door to the outside, where our pool is located. It gets used pretty hard in the summer (obviously) and the wall behind the sink gets pretty gross with all the handwashing. There is a little backsplash that is attached to the vanity but...
So I went to the Dollar Store and purchased three bags of gems that came in assorted colors - clear, light blue, dark blue, and green. These would be perfect colors for this room.
They were pretty dusty so after I sorted them, I washed them with blue Dawn and rinsed them well.
I don’t know if you can see the difference between the before picture and after. They’re much brighter.
A-I drew a line under the mirror and then removed the mirror
B-I then drew lines from the edge of the sink to the line under the mirror, just so I had a reference line.
Because this is near a sink and will be exposed to water, I wanted to make sure it was done properly.
I bought Mastic which is an adhesive. This container was more than enough for this little project.
I also bought this little notched scraper for 99 cents. This is what I used to adhear the mastic on the wall.
Before I began, I used painter’s tape to tape off the top of the vanity.
A-Using my notched scraper, I applied a thin layer of mastic using the flat edge in a small area
B-I then turned the scraper to the smallest notch edge and made grooves in the mastic
C-I placed the gems onto the mastic pushing them gently into the mastic
D-I continued to add mastic to the wall in small sections
E-And continued to place the gems until I had completely filled in my marked off space.
I allowed the mastic to dry 2 hours.
While the mastic dried, I mixed up grout. This bag was much more than I needed. You can buy already mixed grout but it more expensive than dry.
A-Using a recycled plastic container, I added one cup of grout powder.
B-Then I added 1/4 cup of water and mixed. It didn’t seem to be enough water, so I mixed in another 1/4 cup of water. The ration was then 1:1/2.
C- I mixed everything together using a paint stirrer
According to the directions on the grout bag, you should let the grout sit for 30 minutes, stir it and then let it sit an additional 30 minutes.
A-This is the grout after 30 minutes. I gave it a good stir.
B-This is the grout after 1 hour. Perfect!
A-There is a tool to apply grout but I used a magic eraser which worked well.
B-I worked in small sections, squishing the grout between the gems.
C-I made sure the grout was even and there was grout between each gem.
D-Once I had grouted the entire wall, I went over it again to make sure there weren’t any gems covered with a lot of mastic.
One cup of grout + 1/2 cup of water was the perfect amount for my area which was 24” x 10”
According to the bag, allow the grout to set for 30 minutes & check to see if it’s dry.
A-After 30 minutes, I touched the grout
B-And it was still wet
C-after an hour, the grout was dry
Once the grout was dry, it was time to wipe off the excess.
A-I used a large sponge and warm water.
B-I made sure the sponge was not sopping wet, rung out well
C-Then I ran the sponge over the gems, removing any grout that on top of the gems.
I changed my water several times to make sure that I was using clean water to clean off the grout.
Once the grout was clean
A-I removed the painter’s tape
B-Some of it was stuck under the grout so I used a utility knife to cut it out.
C-I added a bead of chaulk along the edge
D-and smoothed the chaulk with my finger
I love the way it turned out. And I learned a new skill. I had never worked with mastic and grout and I was pleased at how good everything looked.
Here’s a closer picture. I like the unevenness of the sides. It doesn’t look chopped off.
No more dirty, splattered wall!

The project was $20 because I purchased large containers of mastic and grout. I would estimate that for the materials that I used, the entire project cost $6.
No more dirty, splattered wall!

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas

• Erin
    Erin

What happens when you no longer like this look? Do you have to replace the drywall?

• Pat Tiede
    Pat Tiede

I have been wanting to frame my large bathroom mirror(70’s calling) could I use those gems to do that? Hmmm

• Jenny Taylor
      Jenny Taylor

That would look amazing! You could mix some gold or silver pigment in to the grout for extra '70s chic!

• Ellis
    Ellis

Very pretty. But splatters still land there, it's just harder to see them. How do you clean the "jeweled" wall? With a sponge?

• John Giordano
      John Giordano

Same way you clean any tile. I would recommend you seal the grout like any grout it can stain and get dirty, Very easy to so with a spray sealer. Spray on let set wipe off spray again...will not harm jewels will wipe right off.

• Margie
    Margie

Looks good. I’d like a table with a top done like that! Good job

• Tam
    Tam

Really pretty...wonder what a 2 inch border (of the same) around the outside of the mirror would be pretty, as well (like a continuation)