How to Stain & Paint a Pedestal Table With a Modern Farmhouse Look

$75

If you ever find a sturdy, solid wood, durable table -- snatch it up! Because with my sanding, staining and painting tips, you can easily give it a modern farmhouse look and create a lovely gathering space for your family! Let me show you how to give a table new life.

I spotted this old empire style pedestal table at an antique store buried underneath many treasures.. it was only $40!!! That price for a solid wood, round dining table is a STEAL!! I was so excited, I couldn't wait to work on it and replace the wobbly one I had in my new house.

The tiger oak top had a few small chips in the veneer and a big old water ring. The only way to properly remove a water ring is to sand down to bare wood and re-stain. 

I started with 120-grit sandpaper, but it wasn't cutting through the varnish fast enough so I switched to 80-grit.  

Here's the piece half sanded. The raw wood is so much lighter. I decided against filling the veneer chips, I just didn't feel like it was necessary on this piece. It's going to be well loved in our house so more chips are bound to occur. I figured I'd just embrace the character.  

I used my favorite stain combo to stain the top of this piece. It's a 50/50 mix of two stains. I mixed it in an empty kitchen jar, and applied it with a rag.  (Click over to full blog post to see the specific colors I used - the link is at the bottom of this project post)

Once I had a few coats of top coat in the works, it was time to paint. I chose a gray for the table base -- it's the same gray I painted on the inside of my china hutch. They will look good together in the same room.

Now the top is smooth, with just a bit of luster. The grain in the wood almost glows thanks to the top coat I used. And, even better, the table cleans up so easily after messes!

I love the color of the base and the contrast with the light gray on the walls. I painted the chairs in a coastal blue. I LOVE the combination of blue and gray.  

Not too bad for a $40 table, am I right??!

For more details:

👇👇👇👇

http://www.rootsandwingsfurniture.com/blog/kitchentablemakeover

If you like my style and want to paint furniture (or already do!) -- find me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture. I love to share my furniture makeovers and give live painting tips!

You can also sign up for my blog here -- I'll be doing many projects throughout my new house and you'll want to see them FIRST in your inbox!

Thanks for stopping by!

As always, please click on the blog link below to see more pictures, get extra sanding tips and read my list of paint and stain products...

Jenni Ingram

• Jezratty

What kind of finish did you use on top of the stain?

• Jjqq

For some reason Jenni won't tell us the name of the stains she used on the table top - instead she says we have to read her blog to get that information

It is so irritating when people post on this site that some information is only on their blog

I suppose she gets a credit or something to show more people are looking at her blog - but it's annoying. I'm sure if people like what they see, they will go to the blog anyway to see what other projects are being done -

• Jezratty

• Janet

Howards Restor-a-Finish will remove water stains. It will also lighten the dark (dirty) stain..... if you use steel wool and scrub it well.

I actually bought this to try on my 1990s cabinets. They look brand new.

• Pam

did you sand the baseor just paint it?

• Val

I really love that you painted only the base, it looks fantastic.

• Nikki

Have a table like this one, and have been thinking of doing this same thing. Nice to see a completed one before I start mine.