China Hutch Makeover With Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Did you know you can achieve a non chippy look with milk paint? I painted my 80's oak china cabinet and turned it into one of my most favorite pieces of furniture in our home. I love a good ole diy!
Here's the before and after. Here's the before and after pictures. I used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Typewriter for the exterior and Trophy for the interior. The first coat of paint, I mix in the bonding agent so it would stick to the wood. The great thing about milk paint is that you don't have to do any prep work like sanding or priming the wood before you paint, just add the bonding agent to the paint, and ta da! After three coats of paint, I applied two coats of hemp oil, and one coat of furniture wax to give it extra protection because I don't want to ever paint this piece of furniture every again!
I replaced the weird looking knobs with these antique brass knobs.
One of the things I really liked using the milk paint, is that it has the most beautiful finish. It has a matte finish, but as you add coats of hemp oil and furniture wax, it gives it more lustre and the wax really brings out the wood grain, which looks absolutely gorgeous with the dark color. It gives it some texture to the piece which makes it look really interesting and chic looking.
Aren't those leaded doors and shelves beautiful?
I love opening up the door and seeing a different color, I feel like it gives the china cabinet so much more depth and character.
The white china I have is the perfect contrasting color against the grey and black.

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Courtney Killpack

• Rebecca Cooner
    Rebecca Cooner

How much paint did it take to cover your hutch? I'm wanting to paint my outdated hutch and table but have no clue how much paint I would need.

• Kathy
    Kathy

can you send directions for process to paint and finishing both paint colors

kcampbell288@charter.net

• Charlotte Freeman Malone
    Charlotte Freeman Malone

What kind of bonding agent did you use to mix with paint? Also, what type of hemp oil and wax. I have ordered the Miss Mustard Seed "Farmhouse" color milk paint. Plan to start on this project as soon as my paint comes in.

• Kathy
    Kathy

yes

• Irma
    Irma

I am trying to do something like this. Would you walk me through? This is my first time doing something like this. Thank you