Courtney Killpack
Courtney Killpack
  • Kaysville, UT

China Hutch Makeover With Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Did you know you can achieve a non chippy look with milk paint? I painted my 80's oak china cabinet and turned it into one of my most favorite pieces of furniture in our home. I love a good ole diy!
china hutch makeover with miss mustard seed milk paint, home decor, painted furniture
Here's the before and after. Here's the before and after pictures. I used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Typewriter for the exterior and Trophy for the interior. The first coat of paint, I mix in the bonding agent so it would stick to the wood. The great thing about milk paint is that you don't have to do any prep work like sanding or priming the wood before you paint, just add the bonding agent to the paint, and ta da! After three coats of paint, I applied two coats of hemp oil, and one coat of furniture wax to give it extra protection because I don't want to ever paint this piece of furniture every again!
I replaced the weird looking knobs with these antique brass knobs.
One of the things I really liked using the milk paint, is that it has the most beautiful finish. It has a matte finish, but as you add coats of hemp oil and furniture wax, it gives it more lustre and the wax really brings out the wood grain, which looks absolutely gorgeous with the dark color. It gives it some texture to the piece which makes it look really interesting and chic looking.
Aren't those leaded doors and shelves beautiful?
I love opening up the door and seeing a different color, I feel like it gives the china cabinet so much more depth and character.
The white china I have is the perfect contrasting color against the grey and black.
Courtney Killpack

• Mary Mele

I have this hutchand table to match and the top of table needs to be refinished. I was thinking it would be too much if the table was all black. How would this paint hold up if I only painted the table top? What about chairs? Just black on seats maybe?

• Marcela Guimaraes

Where did you buy the paint and what color code is on the container?

• Daw7513522

Dear Courtney,
    I'm sure you must have had this question a thousand times, so forgive me for asking. I have a bedroom set the same type of wood & stain and want to update it by painting it a soft cream color. Do I HAVE to strip it prior to milk painting? I don't mind sanding a bit but REALLY don't want to strip the varnish.

• Bjs27975907

This is awesome. What a great transformation. Love the 2 colors. I have one also and I must paint it. You have so inspired me. Thanks

• Loretta Redick

I love this idea, i have a hutch that belonged to my grandmother. My dogs have chewed it around the rime in the middle and on one of the door front removing the veneer as wheel as chewed on one front leg, i’m Sick that this has happened and i would love to redo it. Any suggestions .