China Hutch Makeover With Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Did you know you can achieve a non chippy look with milk paint? I painted my 80's oak china cabinet and turned it into one of my most favorite pieces of furniture in our home. I love a good ole diy!
Here's the before and after. Here's the before and after pictures. I used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Typewriter for the exterior and Trophy for the interior. The first coat of paint, I mix in the bonding agent so it would stick to the wood. The great thing about milk paint is that you don't have to do any prep work like sanding or priming the wood before you paint, just add the bonding agent to the paint, and ta da! After three coats of paint, I applied two coats of hemp oil, and one coat of furniture wax to give it extra protection because I don't want to ever paint this piece of furniture every again!
I replaced the weird looking knobs with these antique brass knobs.
One of the things I really liked using the milk paint, is that it has the most beautiful finish. It has a matte finish, but as you add coats of hemp oil and furniture wax, it gives it more lustre and the wax really brings out the wood grain, which looks absolutely gorgeous with the dark color. It gives it some texture to the piece which makes it look really interesting and chic looking.
Aren't those leaded doors and shelves beautiful?
I love opening up the door and seeing a different color, I feel like it gives the china cabinet so much more depth and character.
The white china I have is the perfect contrasting color against the grey and black.

Courtney Killpack

• Carol Cole

Do I have to sand for this kind of paint. I really don't want to but there is all kinds of scratches on it.

• Shirley

Read the start of her directions for your answer.

Like

Reply

• Pam porreca

I have a hutch my father built that is varnished or stained light oak color which is kinda outdated now, would love to do this paint to it but am so afraid. Should I do the oak table to match?

• Rebecca Cooner

How much paint did it take to cover your hutch? I'm wanting to paint my outdated hutch and table but have no clue how much paint I would need.

• Carol Cole

I want to do this to my china closet . It was my mothers but it is all scratched up and a corner on it is dented, or what ever you call it, and I'm chicken.

• Maryann Beatty Cook

Lace on your Nikes and Just Do It! Mom will Smile down, the dent will disappear ( wood putty or try Bondo, yes resin as for auto body work),( and a palm sander, easily found at tag sales) I learned that from my carpenter restoring my 1910 Summer House Storm Windows.

• Carol Cole

I don't know what tag sales are unless u mean when the stores put red tags on things to get rid of.