Deb Foglia
Deb Foglia
  • Farmingdale, NJ

Painting 1970's Kitchen Cabinets

$50

I am currently helping my MIL with her retirement home that is outdated and slightly stuck in the 70's. We are adding modern touches and fresh paint everywhere...including the 1970's Kitchen Cabinets. I'm sharing how to paint your cabinets, what products I use...and the BEFORE and AFTER.
painting 1970 s kitchen cabinets
The biggest problem was that there was lots of BEIGE. It needed to be brightened up, so we decided to go for white. Since the floors had to stay and the counters (which were beige) I decided to go with a "warmer" white. We used Dove White from Benjamin Moore in their Advance paint line (which is for cabinets). To prep the cabinets I took these steps. Then I began painting...with the Advance line I found it was an easy product not to have to prep cabinets first. This will depend on your cabinet and your finish...but since I've used this line before on my own cabinets, I knew I was fine with not having to sand or prime.
painting 1970 s kitchen cabinets
It will take at least 4 coats on the cabinets...so yes this is an annoying project and probably one of my least favorites of them all...but so worth it when it's all done and you have a fresh new look to your kitchen. The photo above is with one coat only. tytlytblyt
painting 1970 s kitchen cabinets
Use a foam roller for base cabinets and for large surface areas, and invest in a good brush for those smaller and more narrow areas. Be sure to of course tape off the area and have drop cloth for painting cabinet doors.
With the right tools and the time invested your kitchen can feel totally new and fresh.
painting 1970 s kitchen cabinets
See the Kitchen reveal with hardware here.

• Foam Roller  (https://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-3715C-4-Inch-Refills-Contractor/dp/B002K8PT74/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523291947&sr=1-4&keywords=foam+roller)
  • Benjamin Moore Advance Paint Line
  • Angled Cut Paint Brush  (https://www.amazon.com/Proform-Technologies-PIC11-2-0-2-Inch-Picasso/dp/B00BX72OWG/ref=as_li_bk_tl/?tag=seeklavelan00-20&linkId=d5a1c66dab5b5ddde5d97406d35fe472&linkCode=ktl)
Deb Foglia

• Debby

yes I am going to paint my oak old fashioned cabinets white but still not clear did you sand first or not? Or did you paint on primer? My cabinets have a shine to them but ugly oak color

• TerryUtt
      30 minutes ago

I can't believe anyone who is a professional would recommend not sanding in between the primer and finish coats. Also, it is essential that the cabinets be cleaned with a product like TSP to get rid of oil and grime first. Preparation is 90% of the work and using the proper tools (never used cheap brushes). My husband was a painter for 50 years - he never took shortcuts or used a roller on cabinets or trim- the surface looks like orange peel. I really question the advice some of these so-called experts give.

• Helene Ryan

Do you use a clear coat over the colored paint?

• Deb Foglia

No I don’t this paint is made for kitchen cabinets and does not have to be sealed

• Diane

how much paint did you use? And how many cabinets; both top & bottom&

drawers; for how many coats?

I want to mix my own color of gray and can*t mess it up

I have 18 cabinets & doors; and 8 drawers

Diane

• Deb Foglia

Diane we used an entire gallon but we just made it. I would suggest starting with one probably about 3 coats and you can always get another can if need be.

• Bwi33301443

Great job, I love it, I don't have faith that mine would look that Great! Happy for you Both!

• Kimberly Capps Gautier

From experience, always number your cabinet doors. You want them to go back on the same cabinet. If using old or new hardware that uses the same holes. This will assure the doors will hang and close properly when you're finished. Happy remodeling!