Broyhill Desk, From Garage to Center Stage!

$100

This lovely Broyhill desk had been sitting in a garage for awhile. Luckily, I got to it before they hauled it to the dump! Just because a piece is outdated or doesn’t “fit” in your room anymore, doesn’t mean it can’t be updated to be the perfect “fit” for your decor!
Here she is, peaking out of the garage where she had become a “catch-all.” Other than a rough finish and missing handle...in perfect condition!
I sanded down the drawer fronts. I decided I would paint the outer part, but stain the center panels. This requires sanding the panels down to the bare wood. Start with a rough grit sandpaper (120) and finish with a finer grit (220) to get the smoothest finish.
I also wanted to stain the top. So, I repeated the process of sanding that I used on the drawer fronts.
Since I wanted to paint around the panel, I needed to rough up the existing finish. This is tedious and my fingers always cramp up, but to get a good finished piece, it is worth it! Excuse the messy garage...it is packed pretty full of project pieces, but my husband thinks it is okay to store his stuff in it. 😂
For the stain, I opted to mix my own creation. I used a lot of ebony and a bit of weathered oak. I am happy with it Dark, but still allowing wood grain to show nicely. I apply with a sponge brush, wait a couple of minutes, then wipe with paper towel.
After the stain is dry, taping it off, and painting is the next step! I will do the same with the top of the desk. By staining first, you don’t risk getting stain on your paint. Taping provides you with a nice clean finish.
Chalk paint the base! I just got a sprayer, and mu husband and I were basically fighting over who got to spray. 😂
After staining the top, I have it a light coat of poly. This gives the stain enough seal to allow my painters tape to stick.
Once the top is taped off, painting the edge is next! Once the paint is dry, a couple coats of poly and done!
I did have to buy drawer pulls since one was missing, but these compliment the new stain perfectly!
And here it is all finished and ready for a new home!

• Chalked, chalk paint  (Lowes)
  • Minwax stain  (Lowes)
  • Orbital Sander  (Menards)

To see more: https://facebook.com/nettesemporium/

• Steppo

WOW! I love this! I have a coffee table that I bought from Habitat from Humanity Restore. I’ve been struggling with my ideas for it but after seeing this I think I know what I want to do

• Lynnette Soltwedel

I am so happy it inspired you! Nothing is quite like reviving an old piece and giving it a new life. 😊

• Christina Woodcock

This is awesome! :-)