KITTY LITTER! Can I use my bunnies fertilizer?

+4
Hey, I been collecting/using my bunnies fertilizer for other garden plants, but I was wondering if I could use it for my tomatoes? He is litter trained so his fertilizer is easily obtained from his pan, but will the potential kitty litter particles be a problem at all for vegetables? Also, I've been throwing away the pee clumps entirely, is there a use in the garden for those as well?

• Sharon Sharon on Feb 05, 2018
    If its the clay type litter, it will clog up your garden into a gooey sludge.
    • Eco.cambra Eco.cambra on Feb 05, 2018
      Thank you for input. The litter itself is separated from the fertilizer, I was concerned if the particles/dust that may be stuck to the fertilizer may cause issues in -organic- tomatoes.
  • Bernice H Bernice H on Feb 05, 2018
    Wow! Good question..I would like to know too,just for info. Tho I suppose I could ‘google’it.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 05, 2018
    I wouldn't use the pee clumps. The poo balls as I used to call them should be a great fertilizer because of their veggie and greens diet, just make sure to spread them around and not put them all in certain areas clumped together or you may cause the roots to get burned from too much. It will be close to using cow manure in the garden.
  • Ken Ken on Feb 05, 2018
    I've done some searching, and most panic over the use of litter fouled by a cat or dog, which you don't have. There was a mention of the premium odor-killing litter being no good for a garden because of the other stuff in there.

If you are using the inexpensive litter that has none of the odor-killing or other special ingredients I would allow the stuff to compost for a year or more, mixing in leaves and other stuff and turning often. When it no longer looks or smells like what you put in there you are good to go.

Had you thought of using sawdust instead of clay litter? After that has decomposed it would be great for the garden, better than clay.
  • Sarah Sota Sarah Sota on Feb 05, 2018
    the kitty litter that is in his pan stops plant growth chemically .Have you tried using saw dust or wood shavings for his box? Then all would be safe to use on any plant. Rabbit urine is very strong, it definitely will burn plants, spread thinly or put it in compost bin