LA Murano
LA Murano
  • West Sunbury, PA

How to Color Eggs With Silk

$10

It came to my attention a few years ago that you could dye eggs for Easter with only silk fabric, vinegar and water. "What is this sorcery?" and set out to find out if it was really true. It turns out that it is, and to make it even better....it was pretty darn easy!
how to color eggs with silk
You'll need to get a few silk ties or some 100% silk fabric. Make sure it's 100% silk, blends don't work as well. I bought the ties for this experiment at a thrift store. I paid $6 for 4. You could use silk scarves instead, but I found they were much more expensive. You'll also need some string or elastic of some sort (I used embroidery thread) and an old white shirt or pillowcase. It helps if you have a seam ripper and you'll need scissors. Oh...and a pot, water, vinegar and white eggs.
how to color eggs with silk
First, deconstruct the ties. If you've ever used a seam ripper to take apart a piece of clothing before you will be amazed at how fast ties come apart! They have a bit of stitching at each end, then just pull the string and the whole thing separates. You won't need anything but the printed fabric so put the rest aside. 
how to color eggs with silk
Cute squares of tie or silk fabric and matching pieces of white t-shirt. Wrap each piece of silk around egg, cover with white fabric and tie with string or even use a small rubber band. You can find exact dimensions on the blog post.
how to color eggs with silk
Place all the wrapped eggs in a large pot with water and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Bring to a boil. Boil the eggs for about 20 minutes then remove from heat and drain. Once cool unwrap your eggs. Allow to dry then rub with a little vegetable oil to make them shine! Aren't they pretty?
LA Murano