How to get a hard finish after painting furniture

+4
  • You can come close, but you won't. Purchased pieces are "baked on" - check out this article. Exactly why contractors charge what they do. The equipment used is expensive and subject to environmental regulations (EPA).

• Linda Linda on Feb 05, 2018
    I like to use Minwax Wipe-On Poly. It gives a beautiful hard finish and is easy to apply.
  • William William on Feb 05, 2018
    At least three coats of a water based polyurethane.
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Feb 05, 2018
    I use a lacquer finish when I want a hard shiny surface. Let the first coat dry completely, a day or two. If you think it needs another coat, let that one dry completely, too. If it is a damp time or place, allow an extra day for each coat. Best wishes ☺️
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 05, 2018
    I like William's suggestion. I have a claw foot table that my father refinished in the late seventies (it was his mother's). He coated it with multiple coats of poly and it still looks like the day he refinished it (I now have the table and leaves).
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Feb 06, 2018
    When putting on the final coat, either of lacquer of poly, remember it takes a long time (days) to dry in the winter.